2 lb (1 kg) Chinese cabbage
1 tbsp (15g) salt
2 tbsp (30g) chopped green onion
2 tsp (10g) crushed garlic
1 tbsp (15g) chili powder
2 tsp (10g) finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup (125ml) light soy sauce
1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
2 tsp (10g) sugar (or more to taste)
- Chop cabbage coarsely and place in glass dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 3 to 4 hours; the cabbage will wilt.
- Mash with the fingers until the cabbage is still softer, then drain off excess liquid and add the remaining ingredients except the sesame oil.
- Transfer to a large glass jar, seal and leave in a cool place for at least 24 hours before using. It will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of sesame oil before using.
Recipe courtesy of Oriental Food.com