1 lb (450g) plain white flour
1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
1 ltsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
4 oz (115g) sugar
4 oz (115g) sultanas or raisins or currants
1/2 pint (285ml) butter milk
- Preheat oven to 350F (180°C), Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in butter lightly with finger tips until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- Add dried fruit and sugar and mix well.
- Beat egg in a seperate bowl and add buttermilk, mix well. Add to other ingredients and mix into a dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured board, knead and mould into a smooth round dough.
- Put into a greased baking tray and flatten to about 2/3 inch thick. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
Serving Suggestion: With butter and Jam.
Also nice when lightly toasted under grill, and butter spread over when hot.