The Previewing team at Discovery works across 23 channel feeds to the Nordic countries, as well as for two Eurosport UK channel feeds. The Previewing team is responsible for screening and preparing all scheduled programme material for on-air transmission.
We are now recruiting for a Lead Previewer. The right candidate for this position will be passionate about entertainment and sports broadcasting. They should have, and continue to develop, detailed knowledge of the channels content and compliance requirements.
In close cooperation with other internal departments, the position will play a key part in overseeing and improving our recording, file delivery and segmentation workflows. The role therefore requires a positive and productive attitude when dealing with company stakeholders at all levels. The position holder will also assist the team Supervisor with management of work rotas and ensuring that the required cover for planned processing volumes is achieved.
The role will involve extensive use of media asset management software VPMS and scheduling system What'sOn. The ideal candidate should have significant, relevant experience with broadcasting systems, file deliveries and compliance. As well as the ability to challenge and motivate the team, this is a high intensity role which requires quick responses, superior organisational skills and a good eye for detail.
Occasional weekend and evening work will be required in the role.
* General overview of all FTA channels and ensuring all material is processed in a timely manner. Help with general queries and troubleshooting.
* Together with the other team Lead, help train all new starters and contract workers in the Previewing team's processes and workflows. Be a natural point of call for team members and other departments for discussions relating to the team.
* Coordinate content for assigned channels with program planners in territory. Follow up on missing programmes and late deliveries.
* Liaise with Material, Ingest and Compliance teams to ensure all scheduled programmes are ingested and meet broadcasting standards and regulatory requirements.
* Import edit and break point data to What'sOn including time codes, audio configuration, aspect ratio, end credit time codes and special remarks.
* Maintain good knowledge of our program inventory and compliance regulations.
* Final approve QC, preview and cutlist (soft parting) of material, set break points to maximise viewer retention, and ensure that required break structures are used.
* Liaise with Schedulers and Programme Planners and follow up on their requests for edited break points in order to optimise our commercial inventory while guaranteeing an optimal viewing experience.
* Complete compliance reports for programme assets and approve the allocated parental rating certification to ensure compliance with Ofcom or other local broadcast regulators.
* Test and review new software development, upgrades and workflows as required.
* Assist and support other teams and management within the programming department with various ad-hoc tasks as needed.
* Previous experience from segmentation, QC or an editorial role within the broadcast industry.
* Good understanding of broadcast scheduling and MAM systems.
* Knowledge of video editing software is an advantage but not a must.
* Computer literate with good working knowledge of the Microsoft office package.
* Some understanding of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code regulations (or equivalent local regulator).
* Excellent communication skills.
* Enthusiastic and self-motivated.
* Great attention to details and ability to work to deadlines.
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
* Scandinavian language skills are an advantage but not a must