EY is a global network of professional services firms engaged in advisory, transaction, assurance and tax services with member firms in over 170 countries worldwide. The UK firm of Ernst & Young LLP has over 700 partners and 14,000 employees.
The UK Legal team is well established and highly regarded, and we are this year's Legal 500 in-house team of the year for professional services. Led by our General Counsel, Lisa Cameron, we comprise 20 lawyers supported by 2 paralegals. The UK Legal team also forms part of a Global legal function.
We have a vacancy for a Legal Counsel - Commercial Contract Lawyer within our high performing and ambitious in-house legal team. In line with our NextWave Strategy to create long term value as the world's most trusted, distinctive professional services organisation we are disrupting ourselves for the future, focussing on asset based services, emerging technologies and encouraging and enabling innovation. We enjoy a challenging workload, supporting that Strategy by the prompt delivery of pragmatic, adaptable and commercial legal advice to all levels within our business. This role will be based in our centrally located Birmingham office where we are establishing our first legal hub. It is anticipated that you will be one of three lawyers based in this location with close interaction, oversight and support from the UK London legal team. Our Birmingham office is ideally situated given its transport links to London and the rest of the UK, strong service line and central business services presence.
Your key responsibilities
The work within the UK Legal team is highly varied and covers all legal issues arising from the running of a professional services business. Much of the legal work is at the cutting edge of business practice as the firm constantly finds innovative ways to help our clients' businesses.
This in-house role includes:
Advising on, drafting and negotiating contracts, such as Master Services Agreements and Global Framework Agreements with our clients as well as other complex contractual arrangements pursuant to which we provide an ever more diverse range of services;
* Subcontracts, where EY is subcontractor;
* Collaboration agreements,
* Managed services and outsourcing agreements
* Software and Licensing agreements
* Government and public sector agreements;
* Advising on tenders and RFP responses;
* Supporting other Legal Team members with large complex commercial contracts
* Advising on, drafting and negotiating contracts with suppliers
* General: providing legal advice to the firm's service lines and its other internal support functions such as real estate and facilities, procurement, finance, HR, IT, knowledge and marketing and the opportunity to be the legal lead on firm-wide projects.
Skills and attributes for success
* Strong team player with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
* Demonstrable commitment to the attributes of our highest performing teams - focus on results, accepting of accountability, committed, embraces healthy conflict, builds trust.
* Keeps calm and copes well with conflicting and ever-changing deadlines.
* Ability to lead, provide a view, take responsibility and ownership of issues, including an ability to take difficult decisions and provide substantiated arguments.
* Commercial awareness of the business issues facing us as we evolve, coupled with an active desire to get alongside our business, scanning the horizon for new service offerings to provide legal insight and support.
To qualify for the role you must have
* Approximately 5 or more years of post-qualification experience.
* Significant experience gained either in a reputable City law firm (or equivalent) and/or in-house
* Ability to provide practical legal advice and support with a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment and to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels.
Ideally, you'll also have
* Proven ability to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels, including with senior members of the firm, some of whom have a considerable understanding of the law.
What we look for
A self-starter, adept at responding promptly/juggling deadlines who actively looks to build relationships based on trust and confidence
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer in 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
Apply now. #L-IP