This post is located in the Information Technology and Business Analysis Unit of the Production and Support Service in the Division of Conference Management at the (COMPANY NAME) office in Geneva.
Under the supervision of the Chief of the Information Technology and Business Analysis Unit and within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Desktop Administration and Configuration:
* Monitors personal computers running the UN software delivery system to ensure that software distributions are being delivered correctly;
* Develops desktop and laptop images for standard configurations of computing environments;
* Performs software distribution updates, scripting, testing and support;
* Performs research into new versions of centrally supported software; conducts beta testing, production roll-out and post-production support;
* Maintains and updates technical documentation for desktop management software;
Service Installation and Support:
* Receives and logs problem calls or service requests in the automated tracking system with minimum delay;
* Attempts to resolve as many problem calls or service requests on initial contact;
* Performs tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, software installation, LAN connection, returns to stock, site surveys, etc.
* Liaises with other units to facilitate completion of service requests;
* Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay;
* Provides basic training to end-users on the use of standard systems and applications;
* Drafts and reviews end-user processes, and/or technical documentation;
* Logs all actions in the automated tracking system, including site survey information, steps taken to resolve problem or to complete task, problems encountered, current status, etc.;
* Acts as problem escalation point for technical staff at lower levels;
* Escalates problems/tasks to the appropriate parties in accordance with established procedures;
* Detects problem patterns and recommends solutions;
* Provides technical advice to clients when necessary; including end-user training in accordance with developed processes;
* Keeps abreast of developments in technology both in the UN and in the industry in general;
* Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
Procurement and Logistics:
* Receives, unpacks, and inspects all incoming IT assets;
* Updates and maintains information systems data accurately in relation to user requests (moves, new users, equipment replacement, etc.), equipment inventories (including location), user contact information;
* Is responsible for ensuring that all IT equipment is maintained in an appropriate environment;
* Accurately enters assets and all asset transactions into the automated inventory management system in accordance with established procedure;
* Obeys and enforces all security procedures, including ensuring that the rooms are secure and accessible only by authorized persons;
* Monitors inventory levels and alerts supervisor when low thresholds are reached;
* Recommends acquisition of hardware, software, devices, tools, etc. to facilitate work.
* Receives and logs service requests in the automated request management system, iNeed;
* Creates and assigns work orders in accordance with established procedure;
* Liaises with other areas of ICTS to facilitate completion of service requests;
* Provides advice to clients regarding ICTS standards and workflow processes;
* Performs quality assurance procedures to ensure client satisfaction;
* Escalates problems encountered to the supervisor;
* Performs filing and record-keeping tasks for the unit;
* Keeps abreast of latest ITSD ICTS standards and technology.
Performs other duties as required.
Displays a thorough understanding of the importance of meticulous record-keeping for assets; displays detailed organization skills and a desire to keep up-to-date records and procedures; understands the importance of reviewing and revising established procedures as needed. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Completion of secondary school or its equivalent commercial school. Additional courses/technical certificate in information technology or other related field is desirable.
At least five (5) years of experience in information technology or related area is required.
Two (2) years within the (COMPANY NAME) is desirable.
Hands-on technical experience with ICT Helpdesk operations, desktop management, hardware/software configuration, office automation and computer user support are desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English or French is required. Knowledge of the other is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the (COMPANY NAME) Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) at the (COMPANY NAME) Headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS