This internship is located in the ESCAP Subregional Office for the Pacific in Suva, Fiji. The Office promotes regional cooperation and knowledge sharing, provides technical assistance and advisory services on economic and social policies and conduct researches on issues relevant to Pacific island developing States members.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time (37.5 hours a week) for a duration of 2 - 6 months. Possible areas of work include women's economic empowerment, climate change and human mobility, urban development, disability, sustainable development monitoring and reporting. Specific duties can be tailored to match interns' interest.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
* Basic research on selected aspects related to women's economic empowerment, climate change and human mobility, urban development, disability, sustainable development monitoring and reporting;
* Preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers,inputs to publications;
* Substantive support to the implementation of technical cooperation projects, including on women's economic empowerment, climate change and human mobility, urban resource management;
* Support to the organization of meetings/seminars/workshops;
* Other duties as might be assigned.
The (COMPANY NAME) Core Competencies include:
* Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
* Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
* Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
* Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
Interns are also expected to:
* Be computer literate in standard software applications;
* Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
* Have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of different opinions and views.
Applicants must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
1) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
2) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
3) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing or recently completed;
* Graduation date (actual or expected);
* Main areas of interest;
* IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
* Time frame of your availability;
* Explanation of your interest in this internship.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Please note that due to the large number of applicants, ONLY short-listed applicants will be contacted for further consideration.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS