Our Finance team is at the heart of our strategy, involved in a variety of areas including managing accounts, budgets and forecasts, providing trend and competitor analysis and other statistical support for partner presentations, as well as cash management, remuneration, internal audit, procurement and pricing, and ultimately ensuring that the firm is compliant, efficient and profitable. The (COMPANY NAME) Procurement department provides best in class strategic guidance and support to the firm with regards to all external supplier interactions.
Alongside world-class legal careers, (COMPANY NAME) offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining our business professionals, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Our business professionals are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success - with (COMPANY NAME)'s Finance team at the heart of its strategy.
The Partnership Services team sits within Finance, covering all aspects of external reporting by the Firm, handling the payment of Equity Partner remuneration; and the tax and statutory filings required to be made by the Firm, its Partners and Employees are all of importance in helping the team achieve its goals of delivering a high quality service.
There are two pillars within the Partnership Services team:
* Partnership Tax and Treasury; and
* Partnership Accounting. The Expat Tax Manager will work in the Partnership Tax & Treasury team, reporting to the Expat Tax Senior Manager.
The Expat tax team is currently undergoing a restructuring, in order to deal with the ever-increasing demand for our services. With global business travellers and secondees growing in both volume and complexity, this new role has been created within the team. You would be joining an existing Manager in the team and your joint key responsibilities would be to assist the expat tax team in managing the firm's tax risk, with respect to global employment and expat tax solutions.
The Expat tax team works alongside the Global Mobility HR team and is responsible for reviewing and advising on all aspects of the Firm's positions taken on expat and employment tax matters - liaising with various stakeholders in the business, across a variety of departments, internally and with the Firm's tax advisors, externally.
* Work closely with the Global Mobility team specialists (based in London, Hong Kong and New York), to provide proactive expat tax and social security advice, with respect to our international secondment moves within the Firm - including international client secondments, short term moves and commuter arrangements;
* Review standard policies, processes and training materials with respect to our globally mobile workforce, to ensure they meet the Firm's relevant obligations and ensure we are compliant across various jurisdictions in terms of tax, payroll, social security and other reporting requirements;
* Continually review and consider any potential tax planning opportunities around our international secondment policies, which may look to reduce either our costs, mitigate our risks or reduce our administrative burden in this area;
* Review secondment costings and advise the business on optimal, cost effective secondment solutions, from a cash-flow and accruals perspective;
* Conduct UK consultations with secondees, trainees, relocating employees and/or the business, to ensure initial cross-border tax concerns are addressed - with personal and Firm obligations clear;
* Advise the Global Mobility team of net salary, bonus and hypo tax figures for tax equalised secondees (on an annual basis) and provide periodic reviews;
* Liaise with global payroll teams regarding compensation delivery for international secondees and the required actions with respect to tax withholding and social security contributions or exemptions;
* Assist with managing the firms real-time payroll requirements in various jurisdictions, including review of the tax calculations and tax return filings required to complement this;
* Ensure the appropriate tax compliance services offered to employees and staff are authorised and completed successfully, for example the relevant tax returns in each location, TEC settlements, social security exemption certificates, etc.;
* Assist with centrally coordinating the collation of all compensation data for the global submission of all individual tax returns required by secondees (incl. the UK), answering all related queries and ensuring all global tax payments are reconciled on an annual basis;
* Ensure the service delivery from our external tax advisors meets the Firm's expectations and agreed service levels, completing the appropriate annual season reviews;
* Assist with managing ad hoc tax advisory projects owned by the expat tax team and liaise with key internal stakeholders (e.g. HR, Reward, Payroll and Finance, etc.); and external contacts including HMRC and our external tax advisors, to execute these;
* Assist with global business traveller analysis, to complement tax and other compliance requirements, including the posted worker directive;
* Assist with managing the Short Term Business Visitor ("STBV") process for the UK Firm - ensuring the annual PAYE compliance deadline is met for its overseas branches; and the STBV report for all other treaty countries is submitted to HMRC. This will include analysing the appropriate data sources, obtaining the relevant residence certificates and addressing HMRC queries;
* Liaise with various stakeholders in the business to review and ensure that the UK Firm meets its obligations and necessary reporting requirements with respect to the provision of benefits, allowances and reimbursed expenses (e.g. annual filing of the firms PAYE Settlement Agreement in the UK). This will include responding to payroll and finance queries;
* Ensure you are updated on any current changes in tax legislation, commercial trends or 'best practice' and be able to consider the Firm's actions or implementation of such updates where required;
* Oversee and review the work of junior members of the team, providing necessary support and development; and
* Ad hoc duties and support of the wider team, where required.
Strong experience of preparing, reviewing and/or explaining UK personal tax returns in a professional services environment, with a good understanding of UK tax compliance and internationally mobile tax issues (including complex treaty matters);
Excellent communication skills;
Good attention to detail, accurate, sound, methodical data entry skills;
Adept in Microsoft Suite products (with excel competence);
Strong analytical, organisational, and interpersonal skills;
Confident and clear verbal and written communication skills;
Team player, with a positive attitude and flexible approach to work;
Ability to work unsupervised (with intelligent questioning, where required); and
Ability to question the integrity of processes and data.
Ideally, you will have:
Previous experience of using Personal Tax Software (CCH preferred);
Good experience of having worked at or closely with professional service firms, in the coordination of secondee tax compliance and advisory work; and
Experience of communicating with HMRC, global teams/functions, engaging with all levels of HR and payroll teams/finance personnel, as required.
The role holder should be ATT qualified or equivalent, at minimum.
To find out more:
Interested? To find out more about what it is like to work at (COMPANY NAME) in London please visit our careers site
At (COMPANY NAME) we understand that our true asset is our people. We believe that each and every one of us should experience an equality of opportunity and an equality of experience here. We are always working to develop and deliver the best and most innovative approaches to make that happen. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are therefore committed to treating all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
We have a number of initiatives and networks that support our aspiration to be the Global Law Firm of choice. These include our LGBT, Gender Parity, Ethnicity and Disability networks.
#LI-WRAP #LI-POST #IND