The duration of an UNMIK internship is a minimum of three (3) months on a full time basis to a maximum of six (6) months depending on particular needs of the receiving programme. It is awarded on the recommendation of the Director/ Chief of the respective Service. Interns are not paid and are responsible for all expenses related to the internship. UNMIK accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship.
Therefore, upon awarding an internship, candidates will be required to sign a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of the conditions of service. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned. This internship is located in the Justice Section, (COMPANY NAME) Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK). The intern reports directly to the Chief of the Section.
Within the delegated authority, the intern's duties may include, but may not be limited to, the following:
Gather information and report in the area of activity of Kosovo's justice institutions and on the activity of other actors active in the rule of law sector;
Conduct legal research and prepare legal opinions on a variety of issues relating to the justice sector in Kosovo in general on the basis of the applicable law and international law;
Support the Justice Section in the process of document verification and certification;
Performing any other duty/special project as may be required.
Professionalism - Knowledge of Kosovo justice system and some experience in providing legal expertise and/or analysis both in English and one of the official languages of Kosovo;
Communication - Excellent interpersonal and communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills.
Technology awareness - Fully proficient computer skills in word processing and internet/intranet services, library sources, etc. Experience in using databases which store large volumes of information.
Teamwork -Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school law, political science, international relations, international economic, public administration or other related programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university law, political science, international relations, international economic, public administration or other related degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university law, political science, international relations, international economic, public administration or other related degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
* Be computer literate in standard software applications, in particular with Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word; Excel; PowerPoint; Project);
* Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
* Ability to think both creatively and analytically.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the Programme. Are you a student in a Bachelor's (final year), Master's or Ph.D. Programme or equivalent, or have you completed a degree and are able to commence an internship within a year of graduation?
Will you be able to cover the cost of travel including visa, accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the internship?
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME). For this internship, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of another official language of the (COMPANY NAME) is desirable. Working knowledge of Albanian or Serbian is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the Hiring Manager for an interview.
The application must include a cover letter that includes the following information:
* Degree programme (i.e., what are you currently studying?)
* Graduation date (i.e., when will you or when did you graduate from the programme?)
* Explanation of your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
* Explanation of why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
* Any previous work experience in an international organisation, in the field of international criminal law, or public international law
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT and language skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS