Org. Setting and Reporting
The internship is located in the Press and External Relations Section of the Information Service, Department of Global Communications (DGC), (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva (UNOG).
The internship is for a minimum duration of three (3) months and can be extended up to six (6) months depending on the needs of the service.
The internship is unpaid and full-time and interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the primary supervision of the Chief of the Press and External Relations Section, and with the support of the Press Officer working on social media and outreach.
Under the primary supervision of the Chief of the Press External Relations Section, and with the support of the Press Officer working on social media and outreach, the Public Information Intern's duties will include the following:
● Help the Spokesperson/Deputy Spokesperson of the (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva prepare for the biweekly press briefings;
● Monitor and update fact sheets on current issues, which can be used by the Spokesperson/Deputy Spokesperson at UN Geneva or at UNHQ in New York;
● Follow press briefings by the Office of the Spokesperson of the Secretary-General in New York, cross-check information provided by Geneva and New York, and research issues as required;
● Attend biweekly press briefings with other UNIS interns; contribute to the preparation of summaries if/when needed; prepare at least five full summaries of the press briefing and receive feedback;
● Attend at least five full-day meetings of human rights treaty bodies or the Human Rights Council; prepare at least three press releases and receive feedback;
● Attend at least one meeting of the Conference on Disarmament (schedule permitting); prepare a press release and receive feedback;
● Draft stories, in English and in French, on events and developments at UN Geneva, to be reviewed, edited and possibly published on iSeek, the UN Intranet;
● Take the lead with the daily media monitoring of Swiss newspapers (in French, German, Italian and English), with the help of other UNIS interns;
● Assist in the preparation of UNIS contribution to the UN Geneva Annual Report, under the guidance of the Report's focal person (Associate Public Information Officer, P2);
● Contribute to the gathering and creation of social media materials for @UNGeneva Twitter, Facebook and Instagram platforms, and assist the Social Media Intern as needed, for example during live coverage of major events;
● Perform administrative tasks such as updating calendar of meetings, drafting letters, translating emails, letters and documents, filing, etc.;
● Carry out other tasks as requested by the (COMPANY NAME) Information Service.
COMMUNICATION - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor's language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
CLIENT ORIENTATION - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be 'clients' and seeks to see things from client's point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services ro client..
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
(a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
(b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
- Applicants must have studies in a relevant field of study in Journalism, communications, digital media, or marketing or related fields. Students of international relations or related fields may also be considered for this internship.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and·
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Applicants are encouraged to list all relevant work experiences in their application, as well as interests, skills and knowledge in the areas indicated in the job opening.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the internship advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required. Knowledge of other languages, particularly German, and/or Italian, is an asset.
Short-listed candidates may be contacted by the hiring team directly if further information is needed during the review of their application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover note must include:
- Date of availability.
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
- Graduation date (when will you be/have graduating/graduated from the programme?).
- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
There should be no expectation of employment by the (COMPANY NAME) or the IIIM upon completion of the internship.
Interns are responsible for all internship-related expenses that they incur. The (COMPANY NAME) accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, upon award of an internship, interns are responsible for securing adequate insurance coverage and are required to sign and return a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of these conditions of service.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the (COMPANY NAME). An applicant who bears to a staff member any other family relationship may be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child of the spouse of a parent of a staff member (that is, also half- and step-sibling).
Candidates of certain nationalities must obtain a visa authorizing their stay in Switzerland before they depart for Geneva to begin their internship. While this is the overall responsibility of the selected candidate, we will provide information and supporting documents in this regard.
**In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
**Dans le contexte de la pandémie de maladie à coronavirus (COVID-19), et compte tenu des contraintes liées à la délivrance des visas, aux voyages internationaux et à l'accès aux locaux de l'ONU, il peut être demandé aux candidates et candidats d'effectuer leur stage à distance, en tout ou en partie
|Quelle:||Website des Unternehmens|
|Datum:||29 Okt 2020|
|Bereich:||Regierung / NGO|
|Sprachkenntnisse:||Englisch, Französisch, Deutsch|