This internship is located with the Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT), Department of Management (DM). The internship is UNPAID and full-time (five days per week for 35 hours), for a minimum duration of two (2) months and can be extended up to six (6) months. Interns will work under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The intern will provide support to OICT's strategic and/or operational programmes. Examples of duties to be performed may include the following:
* Support towards the various stages of systems development using information technology project management methodology, to include for example design, development, installation, systems analysis, programming and operations support;
* Participate in training activities, including the preparation of training material and user documentation, and compilation of relevant information;
* Support towards strengthened business relationships to include coordination of responses to client requirements and the delivery of OICT services and solutions;
* Provide support towards ensuring adoption of OICT initiatives, to include the development of communications and marketing materials, using design, publishing and/or video production software;
* Attend and support the preparation of meetings, conferences, workshops and other events;
* Support the activities of OICT as needed as deemed necessary by their supervisor
* Provide support towards innovation using modern technology like AI, Machine Learning, Big Data, etc.
* Support the team in Training and documentation using tools like User Productivity Kit (UPK ) tools.
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Keeps abreast of available technology
-Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office
-Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
-Shows willingness to learn new technology
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
* Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views;
* Have demonstrated intention to study further or work in a field relevant to the work of Information and Communications Technology, Information Management, Project Management, Business Management, Marketing, Communications and/or Library Science;
* Be computer literate in standard software applications;
* Be familiar with cutting-edge technology and tools and/or have experience with social networking and collaboration platforms;
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For this position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
Applicants are encouraged to clearly indicate their areas of interests and highlight their specific skills and/or experience in their cover note. They are asked to do so carefully in order to enhance the value of the internship for both themselves and the receiving UN department.
Potential candidates may be contacted by the hiring manager for further consideration.
A complete online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. To complete an online application, please create and complete a personal history profile (PHP) and a cover letter in the UN e-Recruitment system (careers.un.org).
Please ensure that you indicate your proficiency in the English language in your PHP.
Please note that incomplete applications with not be reviewed.
The cover note should include:
(1) Title of the degree currently being pursued by the applicant and the specific subjects taken;
(2) Expected graduation date from the degree programme that the applicant is enrolled in;
(3) List the IT skills and software programmes that you are proficient in;
(4) Explain how an internship with the Office of Information and Communications Technology in the (COMPANY NAME) fits within your career plans and why you would be the best candidate for this team.
Please note that due to high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences (if any), education, skills, languages and three references
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
Job openings posted on the Careers Portal are taken off at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
Applications are automatically pre-screened according to the published evaluation criteria of the job opening on the basis of the information provided by applicants. Applications cannot be amended following submission and incomplete applications shall not be considered. The selected candidate will be subject to a reference checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on "The Application Process" and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" on the upper right side of the browser on Inspira.
The (COMPANY NAME) shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the (COMPANY NAME) - Chapter 3, article 8). The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The (COMPANY NAME) is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS