The Statistics Division internship is for at least two months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, depending on the needs of the division.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The ESCAP Statistics Division is guided by the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics and the Principles Governing International Statistical Activities, and by the work programme and the membership of ESCAP. Our mandates arise from a number of General Assembly, ECOSOC and ESCAP resolutions.
The core areas of the Division's work include implementing programmes for capacity building in statistics; collecting and analysing data on the region; and publishing statistical and analytical publications. We work closely with the ESCAP Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific and organizations that are part of national statistics systems in the region (national statistical offices are our main counterparts); the (COMPANY NAME) Department of Economic and Social Affairs; other (COMPANY NAME) entities; and with a large number of regional and international organizations that have a mandate in statistics.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background and the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following.
The incumbent will participate in one or more activities of the secretariat related to the substantive fields of: economic, environment, population, social, or gender statistics. Applicants should indicate their interest in one or more substantive fields of statistics.
The incumbent will be involved in one or more of the following areas:
1. the regional programme on economic statistics;
2. the regional programme on environment statistics;
3. the regional programme on population and social statistics;
4. the regional programme on gender statistics;
5. the assessment of progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in Asia-Pacific.
Within delegated authority, the duties of the incumbent may include the following:
1. Support work on management of the regional programmes, including assistance with programme monitoring and evaluation and other tasks as required.
2. Undertake review of the literature on theoretical frameworks, indicators and country practices.
3. Contribute to the drafting of research papers and technical documents.
4. Participate in the substantive servicing of expert group meetings, seminars and training workshops.
5. Conduct a comparative review of various indicator lists available at the national, regional and international levels; identify data sources to compile indicators; select and implement methods for data processing for data storage and incorporation into databases.
6. Perform other tasks as required.
Finally, the incumbent is also expected to participate in the substantive servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, training workshops, and perform other tasks as required.
Depending on the tasks performed, after the assignment the incumbent will be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of conceptual and methodological issues related to the work in the relevant field of statistics.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the current state of development and country needs in the areas of statistics in the Asia and the Pacific region.
3. Develop project profiles and documents based on UN standards.
4. Conduct empirical research and write project reports and papers in the context of an international organization.
5. Use statistical software and econometric methods in the analysis of various types of data.
6. Coordinate and work effectively in an international environment.
*Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
*Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
*Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
*Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
*Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
*Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
*Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
*Places team agenda before personal agenda.
*Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
*Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
*Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view.
*Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
*Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
*Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
*Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
*Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme;
- shall be computer literate in standard software applications;
- have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Degree Programme (What are you currently studying or what have you studied)
* Graduation date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
* List of the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
* List of your top three areas of interest
* Explanation about why you are the most suitable candidate for this specific internship
* Explanation of your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Please note that due to the large number of applicants, divisions are not in a position to reply to each application and that only short-listed applicants will be contacted for further consideration.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Quelle:||Website des Unternehmens|
|Datum:||30 Aug 2020|
|Bereich:||Regierung / NGO|
|Sprachkenntnisse:||Englisch, Französisch, Arabisch|