The Internship is in the (COMPANY NAME) Academic Impact (UNAI), which is part of the Outreach Division of the Department of Public Information. UNAI is an initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the (COMPANY NAME) in supporting and contributing to the realization of (COMPANY NAME) goals and mandates, including the promotion and protection of human rights, access to education, sustainability and conflict resolution.
The internship is for a minimum period of four months with an opportunity for extension up to six months, depending on the needs of the Unit and availability of the candidate, with substantial preference being given to candidates who are able to commit to the maximum six-month period.
The internship is unpaid and full-time.
Interns work five days a week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
Working under the supervision of the Associate Information Officer, the intern will assist the UNAI team with its daily tasks.
The selected intern may perform some of the following functions:
- Conducting internet research on thematic issues related to UNAI's principles and mandate, including the Sustainable Development Goals, Human Rights and Global Citizenship Education
- Drafting, formatting, editing and posting original web site content/news stories, including graphics, photographs and video
- Drafting social media content for UNAI Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts
- Assisting with planning and organization of lectures and events, including researching speakers, preparing invitations and promotional material
- Providing logistical support for the organization of public events and briefings, including overseeing RSVP lists and coordinating volunteers
- Maintaining UNAI databases
- Providing general office support (processing, drafting and finalizing correspondence and other communications; setting up and maintaining files/records, organizing meetings etc.
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
-Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme in journalism, communication, media studies, filmmaking, international relations or related field (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
(c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No professional work experience required.
English and French are working languages of the UN Secretariat. Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation date (when will you be graduating from the programme)
- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest/department preferences
- Explain why you are the best candidate for that specific department(s).
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, only successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS