The Laboratory and Scientific Section (LSS), Research and Trend Analysis Branch (RAB), Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs (DPA) internship is for three months (minimum) starting in March 2019 with an opportunity for extension, pending on the needs of the department.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
For more information on UNODC, please visit the following website: wxx.xxxxx.xxg
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
* Research, compile and analyse information, data and scientific literature on synthetic drugs and new psychoactive substances;
* Prepare excerpts and summaries;
* Assist in drafting and preparing presentations, newsletters and reports;
* Assist in organizing events and meetings;
* Attending and summarizing conferences and meetings; and
* Perform other tasks as necessary.
* Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills.
* Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
* Technological awareness: Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
* Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be 'clients' and seeks to see things from clients' point of view.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation (OFFICIAL PROOF FROM THE UNIVERSITY TO SUPPORT ONE OF THE ABOVE OPTIONS HAS TO BE ATTACHED TO THE INSPIRA APPLICATION);
* Be computer literate in standard software applications;
* Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required for the internship and knowledge of other UN official language(s) an asset.
Potential candidates may be contacted by the hiring manager for further consideration.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
* Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
* List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
* List your top three areas of interest.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS