The position is located in the UN Regional Information Centre for Western Europe in Brussels. It is attached to the Nordic Desk. 4 interns will be selected one for each country (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden).
The internship is for six (6) months at maximum and UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35-40 hours) under the direct supervision of the Nordic Desk Officer of UNRIC.
UN information centres are the principal sources of information about the (COMPANY NAME) system in the countries where they are located, they are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of and support for the aims and activities of the (COMPANY NAME) by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
The Intern may be responsible for the following duties:
* Media monitoring;
* Assisting with maintaining content on websites, official social media accounts and other official digital communication outlets;
* Creating and editing infographics or social videos for posting on official digital communication outlets;
Assisting in organizing events in Brussels and the Nordic countries;
* Contributing ideas to projects for enhancing the reach of official digital communication outlets, identifying opportunities to reach a wider audience;
* Monitoring the usage of website and social media accounts using analytics and other statistical tools and techniques;
* Perform other related duties, as required
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
To qualify for a UN internship, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
* Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
* Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
* Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) .
2. Be computer literate in standard software applications;
3. Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
4. Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme, however a field of study closely related to the type of internship that you are applying for is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English and one of 4 Nordic languages (Danish, Finnish, Norwegian or Swedish) is required.
Potential candidates will be contacted for the interview. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
We are recruiting interns throughout the year for assignments of at least three (3) to six (6) months. In your cover note, please indicate when you would like to start your internship.
Your application for this internship must include:
* A Completed application (Personal History Profile) through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. In your Personal History Profile (PHP), be sure to include all past work experiences, IT Skills, and three references;
* Proof of enrollment; list of IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in using; and explanation of why you are the best candidate for the internship and what you hope to gain from the internship;
* A certified copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
The office does not provide visa facilitation nor pay any expanses for the intern to come to New York.
The internship may be conducted remotely due to COVID-19 and the related travel regulations.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Other Skills and Requirements
Candidates for our internship positions are not required to have professional experience, though it can be an advantage if you have interests, skills and knowledge in the areas below:
* Sustainable Development
* Sustainable Development Goals
* Digital Communications
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS