About (COMPANY NAME)
(COMPANY NAME) is the world's leading taste and nutrition company for the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. Every day we partner with customers to create healthier, tastier and more sustainable products that are consumed by billions of people across the world. Our vision is to be our customers' most valued partner, creating a world of sustainable nutrition. A career with (COMPANY NAME) offers you an opportunity to shape the future of food while providing you opportunities to explore and grow in a truly global environment.
About the role
Based in our Global Innovation Centre in Naas and reporting to the RD&A Manager - Enzyme Fermentation, the Fermentation Scientist is part of the Fermentation Science Team of the RD&A Enzymes department, which provides innovative enzyme solutions for the Beverage, Food, Animal Health Nutrition and Human Nutrition EUM's.
The fermentation science team is responsible for the improvement of existing fungal, bacterial and yeast production strains and their respective fermentation processes, as well as supporting the development of new enzyme products/processes. The team is also responsible for technology transfer to manufacturing and troubleshooting support to our production sites in Cork, Ireland, Mexico City, as well as third-parties C(D)MO sites.
What will I be doing?
The Fermentation Scientist will:
* work alongside the Fermentation Team in R&D projects aiming to improve production processes (media and process optimization), improve production hosts (mutagenesis and selection, molecular biology, strain performance testing), or develop new products (strain screening, method development).
* actively participate in the formulation of experimental plans, providing critical feedback and creative technical solutions for innovative experimental designs.
* be responsible for the first-time-right execution of fermentation and microbiology experiments at bench scale, ensuring quality and throughput.
* be actively engaged in the day-to-day operation of advanced parallel bioreactor systems (Eppendorf and Applikon/ Pierre Guerin).
* carry out analytical and enzymatic analysis of experimental samples to thoroughly understand the development of each process
* process and report all experimental results, supporting the Fermentation manager in reporting to key stakeholders.
* actively participate in R&D project meetings and reviews, providing critical feedback and technology insight.
* share the responsibility of maintaining the smooth operation of the fermentation lab, in terms of maintenance, hygiene, consumables, procedures and QSHE (Quality, Safety, Health and Environment), as well as participating in the selection/commissioning of new equipment.
What's in it for me?
At (COMPANY NAME), we believe in giving talented, curious people the opportunity to make a difference.
We work as a team, searching for the best ways to inspire food and nourish life.
We are a community of innovators, working across disciplines to solve global food challenges with a fresh approach. We want you to achieve whatever you put your mind to.
We also offer:
* 25 days annual leave (excluding bank holidays)
* Hybrid working
* Health Care Cover
* Matched pension scheme
* Benefits platform offering discounts and cashback on major retailers including Tesco, Curry's, Argos, and many others
What do I need to be successful?
In (COMPANY NAME) we understand that people have very different career trajectories and experiences. In order to be successful in this role we would be looking for the right competencies and aptitudes as well as your proven track record of success in a microbial fermentation (Fungal & Bacterial)/cell culture or industrial microbiology, whether in industry or academic setting.
Our ideal candidate will have:
* Minimum BSc. in Microbiology, Biotechnology or related field. MSc and relevant internships are advantageous. A good background in engineering disciplines is a plus.
* Autonomous operation of bioreactor systems with advanced controls (eg. aerobic fed-batch cultivation) is highly advantageous. Experience at pilot scale or in production environment is a plus.
* Competence in general microbiology laboratory practices and aseptic techniques. Experience with molecular biology (PCR, cloning, etc) or analytical techniques (biochemical assays, Enzymatic Assays, HPLC, etc) is advantageous.
* Competence in writing technical documents such as research reports, SOPs, etc. Proficiency with Excel or other data processing/visualization software is desirable. Experience with numerical techniques or programming languages is a plus.
* Experience in trouble-shooting of laboratory equipment is advantageous.
* Experience working in collaborative and multi-cultural environments in a plus.
* Desire to work in Science, at the interface between Biology, Chemistry and Engineering.
* Preference for working in an applied R&D environment: deals well with change, has a constructive approach dealing with setbacks and unforeseen situations, enjoys seeing the impact of own contributions into new processes and products.
* Affinity for problem-solving and handling of diverse laboratory equipment (mechanical, analytical, electronics, software).
* Absolute integrity and transparency in all work related matters.
* Attention to detail; curiosity; ownership and accountability for own deliverables.
* Self-motivation, proactivity and ability to work with minimal supervision.
* Time-management skills; flexibility to cope with variable workloads and time requirements.
* Clear and structured communication, both verbal and written.
In (COMPANY NAME) we benefit from the knowledge of our colleagues who bring a diverse range of cultures, backgrounds, lifestyles and experiences.
One team fostering an inclusive culture that, above all, inspires food and nourishes life.
One culture where everyone brings their unique perspectives and experiences to help make us better, together.
We are committed to nurturing an environment of positivity and inclusiveness, where everyone can be at their best, both personally and professionally.
Our recruitment, selection and assessment process are based on the skills and competencies of the specific roles and based entirely on merit. We are committed to and value Diversity and Inclusion in all recruitment processes within (COMPANY NAME) and do not discriminate based on gender, race, class, economic status, ethnic background, sexual orientation, age, political beliefs, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
Get in touch today- we look forward to meeting you
|Posted on:||18 Mar 2023|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Food / Beverage / Tobacco|