The (COMPANY NAME) Global Service Centre (UNGSC) provides critical Logistics, Geospatial Information and Telecommunications Technologies services and Training to all Peacekeeping and Special Political Missions around the world.
This internship (two positions) is located in the Administration and Programme Management Unit (APMU) of the Office of the Chief for Service of Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies (SGITT) in the (COMPANY NAME) Information and Communications Technologies Facility of Valencia (UNICTF-V), Spain.
The APMU provides effective and efficient administrative and programme management support services to the Office of the Chief SGITT and the four (4) core SGITT Sections (Client Solutions Delivery Section; Infrastructure Operations Section; Service & Information Security Management Section; Technology Development, Design & Planning Section) to enable the delivery of their mandates in support of field missions. The intern will report to the Senior Administrative Assistant in APMU.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours). We are seeking interns to start as soon as possible (preferred starting date 01 May 2020) and for a maximum period of six (6) months.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
* Assist in researching and consolidating information on assigned topics (e.g. photo and graphic research);
* Assist in drafting/compiling specific types of information and communication products for target audiences (e.g. press releases, media packages and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, websites);
* Support in organizing and distributing information material;
* Assist in preparing, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports, etc.
* Support team colleagues in using relevant computer software, creating designs in appropriate format for promotional and other material, e.g. brochures, presentation materials, announcements, etc.; ensuring that photos, graphics, etc. are appropriate and conform to UN standards for print and online materials.
* Support team colleagues providing administrative and logistics support to conferences, seminar, etc; assist in preparing briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events;
* Support team colleagues in responding or drafting responses to routine correspondence and other communications, using standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
* Assist in handling arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; assist in shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
* Assist in proofreading documents and editing texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
* Support team colleagues in performing data entry and extraction functions.
* Assist and support in performing other duties as assigned.
During the internship, the incumbent will:
* Experience working in a multinational section of the (COMPANY NAME).
* Learn about the staff development programme at the (COMPANY NAME).
* Be part of a dynamic team.
* Learn about and assist with other programmes in the Section as desired and required.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team short comings time.
- Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated.
- Keeps abreast of available technology.
- Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office.
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks.
- Shows willingness to learn new technology.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
·Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or
(b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
(c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
·Be computer literate in standard software applications;
·Have interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
·Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Public Administration, Public Information, Communication, Journalism or International Relations studies or related studies.
Are you a student in a Bachelor's (final year), Master's or Ph.D. Programme or equivalent, or have you completed a degree and are able to commence an internship within a year of graduation?
Is your field of study closely related to the type of internship you are applying for?
Will you be able to cover the cost of travel including visa, accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the internship?
Fluency in English and Spanish (both written and spoken) is required.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time (i.e. an intern is expected to work five days per week (8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) and there should be no expectation of employment within the UN after an internship. Interns shall not be eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, positions at the professional level and above carrying international recruitment status in the Secretariat for a period of six months following the end of their internship.
A Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
· Title of degree you are currently pursuing (what are you currently studying?).
· Graduation Date (When will you be/have graduating/graduated from the programme?).
· List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in. - List your top three areas of interest/department preferences.
· Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific department.
· Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the (COMPANY NAME). An applicant who bears any other family relationship to a staff member may be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS