This position is located in the Office of the Director, Training and Outreach Unit, Macroeconomic and Development Policies Branch of UNCTAD's Division on Globalization and Development Strategies (DGDS), Geneva.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Training and Outreach Unit, Office of the Director, Division on Globalization and Development Strategies, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties:
Supports the development, coordination and implementation of desktop publishing activities for the annual Trade and Development Report (TDR) and the TDR Overview and other reports, and papers for the Branch and Division by performing the following tasks:
- Prepares final electronic (camera-ready) manuscripts for publication through print and electronic media, in accordance with existing editorial guidelines, and using the most advanced desktop publishing software available in the Secretariat.
- Formats complex documents and final versions of tables and charts, as requested by, and in consultation with, professional staff, using appropriate graphic software.
- Provides author department/divisions with specific instructions on correct format and submission procedures.
- Performs proof-reading functions ensuring that changes have been incorporated as marked in the draft copy and alerting the responsible authority if obvious errors or discrepancies are found in the translated text.
- Incorporates text and graphic changes in the proof-read versions of the manuscript ensuring that the final version of the document confirms to UN publication standards.
- Liaises with staff of the UNCTAD Editorial and Documentation Section and UNOG Publishing Service.
- Researches and verifies terminology on the intranet Ensures typographical accuracy in conformity with UN editorial rules and style.
- Prepares the TDR manuscripts for translation and also for web-publishing and ensures that outgoing texts are submitted correctly to the translation services, text processing units or reproduction section; Prepares special processing instructions as necessary.
- Devises and manages tracking tools.
- Handles non-routine and complex issues related to desktop publishing activities; Independently responds to queries from author department, translators concerning documents submitted for processing.
Implements and oversees the development of the unit's virtual services, particularly the online platform, Virtual Institute (Vi), and sub-sites by performing the following tasks:
- Records and edits videos of exports to produce short pieces to be published on the Vi website, manages online courses offered by the Vi.
- Monitors technical integrity and overall quality, reports problems, resolves them as necessary and/or proposes possible solutions and new functionalities;provides briefings/training and advice on the use of these websites to new staff/interns and outside users.
- Compiles and organizes information (from UNCTAD, Vi members and partners and the Internet) of interest to an academic audience; drafts quarterly Vi newsletters; updates the News section on the Vi website.
- Develops and maintains the unit's online digital library, hosted on the Vi including monitoring technical functionality and collecting/posting substantive documents by UNCTAD and Vi partners of interest to an academic audience.
- Acts as focal point for Vi associate members, manages online user and institutional registration.
- Formats complex texts, tables and charts of other reports and documents, and prepares PowerPoint presentations for submission to, or presentation at, intergovernmental meetings, seminars and training courses.
- Assists in the development of a variety of documents and presentations, including PowerPoint slides, and manages the development of multimedia teaching resources, including the recording and editing of soundtracks and video clips.
Contributes to the development and implementation of communication strategy by performing the following tasks:
- Creates infographics for printed material, as well as for inclusion in webpages, animated videos and social media.
- Drafts event notifications, news items and materials for promotional purposes, as well as correspondence with internal and external audiences; contributes to various programme reports
- Contributes to proposals and ideas for the enhancement of the Vi website, and services and activities of Training and Outreach Unit (TOU),
- Provides technical assistance to website assistants and officers. Liaises with UNCTAD Web Management Unit and other DGDS staff on content, format and layout of publications, documents and information material for web-site presentation; converts such material into web-compatible formats, for further processing by the Web Unit.
- Provides on-site advice and specialized assistance, as required, to Division staff in the application of computer software and other computer-related support, including for the preparation of PowerPoint presentations.
- Coordinates the recruitment of interns, supporting their supervision and overseeing their work plans, coordinates administrative services as required and performs other general office management functions for the unit.
*Professionalism: Knowledge of all aspects of the work, including typographic standards, documents production system, printing practices and operations as well as desktop publishing, design, layout, (COMPANY NAME) terminology and editorial practices. Good graphic skills and demonstrated ability to independently develop creative designs and produce high-quality graphic material for varied print media projects (e.g. posters, brochures, press kits, book covers, book designs, etc.). Ability to handle multiple design projects simultaneously. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
*Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
*Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or its equivalent commercial school.
At least seven (7) years of experience in publications production, including desktop publishing, graphic design and layout, or related area is required.
Out of these, three (3) years' experience in the UN common system is desirable.
Experience in collecting and researching data across various areas of social and economic development and related area is required.
Experience in proof-reading of documents is required.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and French is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the (COMPANY NAME) Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commutingdistance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subjectto local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Passing the (COMPANY NAME) Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) at Headquarters, ECA, ESCWA, UNOG, UNOV, ICTR, ICTY or the Global General Services Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS