This internship is located in the Arabic Translation Section, Languages Service, Division of Conference Management, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva.
The internship is proposed to start 1 March 2020 until 31 May 2020 with a possibility of extension for a maximum period of three months.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Within delegated authority, the intern will assist with the following duties:
- Inputs terminological data in three different languages - using either the interface of the Organization terminological Portal (UNterm), text processing software or excel sheets in line with the format standards, the Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) agreed upon by the Terminology teams.
- Undertakes the necessary documentary and terminological research; compares the retained terms with those found in authoritative documents as well as in internal and external databases; checks the spelling, the typography and the cross-references of the records produced.
- Participates in the cleanup and consolidation of UNterm, as well as in maintaining UNOG multilingual terminology.
- Assists the terminologist in the preparation of regular and ad-hoc meetings with revisers and terminologists, including the compilations and the follow-up.
- Participates in terminology-related meetings taking place at UNOG, as required.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from the clients' point of view.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Keeps abreast of available technology.
- Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office.
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks.
- Shows willingness to learn new technology.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
Applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages must have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants to the UN Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, the field of study should be closely related to the type of internship you are applying for is required.
Please explain how your experience meets this criterion using examples.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For this internship, a perfect command of Arabic, which must be the candidate's main language, and excellent knowledge of English and French are required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
- Graduation Date (When will you be/have graduating/graduated from the programme?).- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS