Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Geneva office of (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) within the Office of the Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peace Operations (DPO) supporting the UNMAS programme in Afghanistan.
Established in 1997, the (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) works to eliminate the threat posed by mines, explosive remnants of war and improvised explosive devices by coordinating (COMPANY NAME) mine action, leading operational responses at the country level, and supporting the development of standards, policies and norms.
As a specialized service of the (COMPANY NAME) located within the Department of Peace Operations, UNMAS operates under UN legislative mandates of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. UNMAS also responds to specific requests for support from the UN Secretary-General or designated official. For more information, please visit: https://wxx.xxxxx.xxx/xn
The UNMAS/OROLSI/DPO Geneva internship is for six months. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member to which they are assigned.
Duties of the intern include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in monitoring media coverage of mine action and international relations issues related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Distribute relevant articles to key partners related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Establish and maintain a mine action video library related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Assist with media outreach related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Assist in creating graphic-design related materials related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Assist in advocacy and outreach activities to internal and external audiences related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Research, compile, draft and edit basic information for use in the preparation and production of public information materials, including website content. related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Assist with the maintenance and help develop UNMAS Social Media tools (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.).
- Assist in liaison with public information focal points in HQ specifically related to generating multimedia public information materials.
- Assist in the preparation of outreach material such as talking points, correspondence and presentations related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Events and website management, stocking and mailing public information materials. related to the UNMAS Afghanistan programme.
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
2. Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME), applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
Interested candidates must be pursuing or pursued their degree in areas related to this Job Opening.
In addition, interested candidates must:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications including MS Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and,
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates may be contacted by the hiring team directly if further information is needed during the review of their application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only candidates who have been short-listed will be contacted.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover note must include:
- Date of availability.
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
- Graduation date (when will you be/have graduating/graduated from the programme?).
- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
There should be no expectation of employment by the (COMPANY NAME) upon completion of the internship.
Interns are responsible for all internship-related expenses that they incur. The (COMPANY NAME) accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, upon award of an internship, interns are responsible for securing adequate insurance coverage and are required to sign and return a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of these conditions of service.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the (COMPANY NAME). An applicant who bears to a staff member any other family relationship may
be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child of the spouse of a parent of a staff member (that is, also half- and step-sibling).
Candidates of certain nationalities must obtain a visa authorizing their stay in Switzerland before they depart for Geneva to begin their internship. While this is the overall responsibility of the selected candidate, we will provide information and supporting documents in this regard.
**In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship
|Posted on:||18 Feb 2021|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Job duration:||6 months|
|Languages:||English, Arabic, Chinese|