The internship is located in the Geneva office of the (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) within the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peace Operations (DPO). Established in 1997, the (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) works to eliminate the threat posed by mines, explosive remnants of war and improvised explosive devices by coordinating (COMPANY NAME) mine action, leading operational responses at the country level, and supporting the development of standards, policies and norms. As a specialized service of the (COMPANY NAME) located within the Department of Peace Operations, UNMAS operates under UN legislative mandates of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. UNMAS also responds to specific requests for support from the UN Secretary-General or designated official. For more information, please visit: https://wxx.xxxxx.xxx/xx. The UNMAS/OROLSI/DPO Geneva internship is for six months. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
Duties of the intern include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts research and drafts official documents related to priorities of UNMAS;
- Assists on treaty-related matters, including the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention, the Convention on Cluster Munitions, the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- Assists on other relevant policy matters, including the use of explosive weapons in populated areas;
- Attends conferences and meetings of interest to UNMAS, and provides verbal and written briefing notes to colleagues;
- Supports the work of the Inter-Agency Working Group on Mine Action;
- Supports the office's engagement with the humanitarian community;
- Contributes to the team's day-to-day tasks as needed, including administration and communications matters;
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
2. Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
(b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants to the UN Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, the field of study should be closely related to the type of internship you are applying for is required.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing;
- Graduation date (when you will be graduating from the programme);
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
- Explain why you are the best candidate for that specific department(s);
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme;
- Dates of your availability (Note: This is a full time internship for a period of 6 months).
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Posted on:||20 Dec 2020|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Job duration:||6 months|