Org. Setting and Reporting
The internship is located in the Geneva office of the (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) within the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peace Operations (DPO).
Established in 1997, the (COMPANY NAME) Mine Action Service (UNMAS) works to eliminate the threat posed by mines, explosive remnants of war and improvised explosive devices by coordinating (COMPANY NAME) mine action, leading operational responses at the country level, and supporting the development of standards, policies and norms. As a specialized service of the (COMPANY NAME) located within the Department of Peace Operations, UNMAS operates under UN legislative mandates of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. UNMAS also responds to specific requests for support from the UN Secretary-General or designated official.
For more information, please visit: https://wxx.xxxxx.xxx/xx.
The UNMAS/OROLSI/DPO Geneva internship is for six months.
Interns work five (5) days per week (40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
Duties of the intern include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts research and drafts official documents related to priorities of UNMAS;
- Assists on treaty-related matters, including the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention, the Convention on Cluster Munitions, the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities;
- Assists on other relevant policy matters, including the use of explosive weapons in populated areas;
- Attends conferences and meetings of interest to UNMAS, and provides verbal and written briefing notes to colleagues;
- Supports the work of the Inter-Agency Working Group on Mine Action;
- Supports the office's engagement with the humanitarian community;
- Contributes to the team's day-to-day tasks as needed, including administration and communications matters;
- Performs other duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
2. Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
(b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Potential candidates may be contacted by the hiring team directly if further information is needed during the review of their application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only candidates who have been identified as potential will be contacted
|Posted on:||17 Dec 2021|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Job duration:||6 months|