At (COMPANY NAME), the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://hxxx.xxxx.
Become (COMPANY NAME)'s next Archivist and browse through (COMPANY NAME)'s rich heritage! Take part!
As the largest particle physics laboratory in the world, (COMPANY NAME)'s mission is to advance the boundaries of human knowledge. All its scientific results are made publicly available. At the same time, organisational or managerial information generated prior to its scientific discoveries is safeguarded by the (COMPANY NAME) Archive, the Organization's memory for current and future generations. It is (COMPANY NAME)'s repository for historical records about all aspects of its activities, from the creation of (COMPANY NAME) in 1954 until the present day. In addition, the (COMPANY NAME) Archive also holds important historical evidence of the early years of particle and quantum physics, including documents originating from eminent physicists such as Einstein and Heisenberg. The (COMPANY NAME) Archive is also managing the Wolfgang Pauli Archive, another important information source for science historians.
(COMPANY NAME) is now seeking for a professional Archivist with a proven interest in the history of modern science who is willing to accept the challenge of collection, long-term preservation of both additional historic and new digital material.
As part of a team, reporting to the Archive & Library Section Leader, the Archivist will take responsibility for the development and management of the (COMPANY NAME) Archive and the Pauli Archive, as well as archival digitization projects and related outreach activities. Beyond that, the Archivist will be responsible for setting strategic directions and developing related policies to ensure that (COMPANY NAME) continues to run an efficient Archive in the digital era.
Find here the Scientific Information Service website: https://sxxxxxxxxx-xxxx.xxxx/
Find here a short video presenting the service: https://vxxxxx.xxxx.xx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx6
* Manage the (COMPANY NAME) Archive and the Pauli Archive in accordance with professional principles and best practices;
* Work in close cooperation with Departmental Record Officers to provide guidance on record management and ensure records of historical interest are transferred to and preserved in the Archive;
* Acquire, appraise, describe, and preserve archival material according to archival standards and facilitate access based on adequate policies;
* Adapt archival policies and guidelines to the evolving needs in the context of digital archiving;
* Develop and implement procedures for the acquisition, processing, digitization, and preservation of archival materials;
* Respond to enquiries of researchers related to the (COMPANY NAME) and Pauli Archives;
* Promote the (COMPANY NAME) and Pauli Archives and make its content known and accessible to the wider public;
* Supervise and train archives assistants, interns and students.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of archival science or a related field.
* Extensive experience in managing a historical archive;
* Proven experience in digital preservation.
* Archiving and records management;
* Corporate governance on information;
* Digitizing collections;
* Configuration and use of information management systems;
* Customer service.
* Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions; maintaining confidentiality.
* Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
* Communicating effectively: leveraging support networks across the Organization.
* Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
* Working in the interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with (COMPANY NAME)'s values and goals.
* Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts, as well as prepare/draft and/or translate accurate texts.
* The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of (COMPANY NAME)'s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than xx.xx.xxx3 at midnight (00h00 CET)
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: RCS-SIS-LB-xxxx-x3-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Scientific Information Professional
|Posted on:||17 Mar 2023|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|