Created in December 1999, the (COMPANY NAME) Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the (COMPANY NAME) system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the (COMPANY NAME) and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the (COMPANY NAME) Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), UNDRR has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2xxx-xxx0, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyses action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
The internship is for a period of two to six months depending on the needs of each office. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Responsibilities will depend on the individual's background, the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to
- Assist in the creation of project plans and estimating time on task for design work
- Assist in review of existing documentations of online systems (feedback, recommendation and maintenance)
- Assist in investigating reported bugs and issues of existing system
- Assist in coding new modules and methods, refactor existing modules, methods and codes
- Assist in the establishment/development of testing framework for applications
- Assist in work on coding/programming tasks to support the team's development or maintenance of technical systems.
* Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
* Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
* Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
* Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
* Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
* Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
* Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
* Places team agenda before personal agenda
* Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
* Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
* Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view
* Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
* Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
* Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
* Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
* Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
* Be computer literate in standard software applications;
* Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for this internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
* Graduation Date (When will you be graduating/ have graduated from the programme?).
* IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
* Top three areas of interest.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the (COMPANY NAME). An applicant who bears to a staff member any other family relationship may be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS