Job Title: Installation and Assembly Trainee
Make a real impact, immediately
We're looking for a motivated individual who is dynamic, ambitious, eager to learn and keen to make an impact within our engineering team.
The difference our new Installation and Assembly Trainee will make
Information Systems is a thriving and growing business unit within Defence Systems Technology (DST). We are transforming and we need you to support us in forging new paths, and contributing as we grow through exciting, but sometimes challenging change. As a Trainee Machinist, you will be working hands on with a range of equipment used to perform machining and sheet metal working tasks whilst getting to understand the wide-ranging role we play supporting our customers
* You will be working within a manufacturing / fabrication / modification / repair workshop where you will be required to work on your own or as part of a small team, either to drawings or a verbal brief, ensuring it is completed to tolerance or fit for purpose.
* You will be required to work with and support other team members to meet wider departmental objectives. You will be given the opportunity to learn and develop your skills within the team. We want you to reach your potential as part of the Engineering team, you'll work alongside experienced engineers who will provide guidance on:
* Developing your manufacturing skills on manual and CNC machine tools such as lathes & mills. Learning how to work with sheet metal using manual and CNC tools.
* Understanding Health & Safety requirements within an engineering environment.
* Encouraging diversity of thought and promoting an inclusive working environment.
Who we're looking for
You're someone who brings innovative ideas and solves problems with simple and elegant solutions. The role will be open to any candidate who may have pursued an interest in low volume manufacturing or sheet metal working, but haven't yet had that job opportunity, those who have obtained college/university qualifications in a relevant subject and those who have previous hands on experience.
* Ideally from any engineering environment
* Demonstrable experience working within a similar environment although under limited supervision
Skills and attributes
* Capable of following technical drawings or sketches
* A self-starter, who is performance driven - with a desire to make significant contribution/impact. Is able to work independently once clear direction is provided.
* Ability to learn new skills / techniques, keep accurate records, follow instructions
* Conscientious person looking to work efficiently and to a high standard.
* Excellent motor skills (dexterity) required for assembly of small components
Education and qualifications
* GCSE - Maths, English
* Engineering or Science Qualification - desirable.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
* Flexible working
* Autonomy to perform the role.
* The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
* Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
* Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
* If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
If you experience difficulties please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here..
Closing date: 30th November 2020