People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like "hard work" and "dedication" together with "community" and "respect" has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different
Description of the Business Line or Department
The Legal Department in London (SEGL/JUR London) primarily provides legal advice and support to all London based investment banking business lines and those businesses forming part of the SG Group in the UK. It is divided into the following teams/areas of expertise: (i) Corporate Finance; (ii) Global Finance (sub- divided into Structured Finance, Financial Engineering and Commodities); (iii) Markets (sub-divided into Structured Products, Trading, Sales & Flow, Debt Capital Markets and Islamic Finance); (iv) Master Agreements; (v) Prime & Securities Services (vi) Financial Services Regulation; (vii) Employment; and (viii) Shared Internal Legal Services (incorporating Commercial and IT Contracts and Data Protection, Global Transaction Payment Services and Company Secretarial).
The Legal Department is responsible for identifying and analysing legal and commercial issues, including communicating advice clearly and effectively, as part of an overall responsibility for managing and overseeing legal risk for the businesses supported. The Legal Department is also responsible for managing its own conduct risk, promoting a positive culture of good conduct and compliance and contributing to the management of conduct risk throughout the businesses supported.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
The Shared Internal Legal Services team within SEGL/JUR London comprises three lawyers and the company secretary for the SGCIB UK group of companies. Each of the team members has distinct roles and responsibilities:
* The team head has responsibility for managing the team and also provides legal advice and assistance principally to the support functions within the SG London perimeter, in particular to UK Sourcing in relation to outsourcing and commercial contracts but also more generally as required and also supports business lines in relation to commercial contracts and liaises with all relevant stakeholders in order to manage and to mitigate against legal risk.
* The second lawyer acts as data protection officer and advises SG London in relation to all data protection matters, as well as supporting SG London in relation to commercial contracts (with a focus on IT contracts).
* The third lawyer supports the business line (GTPS) which provides payment and cash management services to clients.
* The company secretary provides company secretarial support for the UK SG investment banking group of companies.
* The senior lawyers in the team often require assistance to perform administrative and research based tasks on matters which are more efficiently undertaken by a junior lawyer or trainee.
* The graduate trainee would be involved in assisting the team with the review and negotiation of confidentiality and other commercial agreements.
* The graduate trainee will also assist the lawyers with legal research, internal policy and corporate secretarial matters.
* The candidate will gain experience and knowledge of commercial contracts and data protection and will work closely with lawyers and internal clients.
Summary of responsibilities
* To assist with general research and administrative tasks.
* To assist with the review/drafting/negotiation of certain commercial contracts. The candidate will receive training to enable them to do this and will be closely supervised by lawyers within the team.
* To review, comment on and negotiate confidentiality agreements with external suppliers. Again, the candidate will receive training to enable them to do this but will, after a couple of months, be expected to run files on their own.
* To act as coordinator in respect of requests for SG London Branch to act as process agent for English law transactions conducted by SG Group entities in other parts of the world.
* To attend meetings and take minutes.
* To assist with corporate secretarial matters.
* To assist with other matters as the lawyers in the team may require.
Level of Autonomy and Authority
Not applicable. The successful candidate will have their own files following a training period, but all work will be supervised/a senior lawyer in copy.
* University Graduate, or equivalent
* English law degree or higher level or academic or practical legal training
* Strong teamworking and collaboration skills
* Ability to monitor own workload and meet work objectives
* Strong interpersonal and analytical skills
* Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications, including Word and Excel
* Aptitude and knowledge of English law concepts - particularly a good grasp of basic contract law
* Ability to grasp concepts quickly
* Ability to undertake and present research
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment