Description of the Business Line or Department
* The role of RISQ/RMA/HPC is to provide risk control services for hedge fund counterparties and investments. In particular, it performs risk assessment, mitigation, approval, and monitoring processes for the core Business Units at SG Group that transact with, clear for or invest in hedge funds, or take collateral consisting of hedge fund shares. The risk types that are within HPC's remit are credit, liquidity impairment and reputation risk resulting in credit losses.
* Whilst RISQ/RMA/HPC is a service provider, its client is SG and by extension SG's shareholders. As such, (like all departments within the RISQ Division) it adheres to the philosophy of complete independence from commercial activities. It is a control function, not a support function to the business.
* The role is within the Hedge Funds, Prime and CCPs team (HPC) that is part of the Risks on Market Activities & ALM Department (RMA). The team works on requests from our main Business Unit MARK and support both Business Lines EQD and FIC, including derivatives transactions (OTC and Listed), prime services and structured products & solutions in their daily activities with hedge funds
Summary of the key purposes of the role
* The key purpose of the role is to provide support to HPC analysts in performing the team's core missions, including risk assessment, monitoring and risk mitigation processes for all business lines that transact with, invest in or take HF shares as collateral.
* The TRAINEE will assist the team in production of daily, weekly and monthly reporting of exposures and overshoots with associated risk analysis and escalation as necessary, plus ad-hoc reports required for senior management and audit purposes.
* The role will also include creating presentation slides to set out HPC's portfolio exposure, its evolution and topical hedge fund subjects in order to update senior management in the department.
* The TRAINEE will participate to the daily monitoring of exposure and may be asked to participate to different initiatives that are run to enhance our risk analysis and monitoring processes (i.e. early warning indicators, bespoke reporting etc).
* The TRAINEE will assist analysts in their risk assessment of hedge funds counterparties (due diligence report, limit and rating proposal) and first portfolio analysis on risk taken by our counterparties (incl. NCVAR, GCVAR, Concentration Risk and other Stress Tests).
Summary of responsibilities
* The TRAINEE will be trained on proprietary systems to perform cursory analysis of hedge funds and to monitor and generate reports on hedge fund performance, exposure and asset evolution against limits in place.
* The TRAINEE will assist analysts in their daily monitoring of exposure, to ensure that any breach of limit is identified, addressed, commented and/or acted on.
* The TRAINEE will be asked to assist in monitoring exposure, building macro to highlight main exposure on all metrics followed by HPC. This could involve looking at the implementation of quantitative and statistical studies to experiment improved methodologies for monitoring exposures, or assessing risk taken.
* This role also involves participation to ad-hoc projects that will strive to increase efficiency, for example by working closely with Bangalore HPC team on NAV collection and monitoring inputs and providing support in the drafting of due diligence report and assessment.
* The TRAINEE will also participate to new initiatives run by the team, around Early Warning Indicators, Continuous monitoring etc.
* Other responsibilities will be related to reviewing departmental processes and activities, participating to the review of policies and procedures for example, assisting in the production of dashboard for the UK, and other specific reporting for the various SG entities.
* From time to time, the analyst may participate in the due diligence process and/or due diligence meetings in order to obtain a working knowledge HPC's core functions and tasks. The TRAINEE will learn to gather and assess information about a fund manager and their strategy; review relevant documentation, perform background checks, arrange due diligence meetings to gain exposure to a vast amount of information on HF strategies, risk analysis, risk mitigation and financial products.
* The analyst may be trained to completing rating models to propose ratings using our approved rating models on certain counterparties
* Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint and VBA
* Practical skills as the job calls for adaptation of procedure to a changing environment
* Analytical skills and attention to detail
* Good analytical/statistics skills; the person should understand means, standard deviations, correlation, normal distributions, sampling error, and basic performance statistics for the fund industry and understanding of OTC/Listed derivatives products
* Preferably some knowledge of hedge fund industry
* Self-starter able to meet deadlines and work independently as well as contribute to HPC team goals when required.
* Good communication skills
* Articulate orally and in written form.
* Be comfortable meeting with interacting with internal stakeholders in person, be presentable, and be respectful.
* Fluent in English - French and any other language is a plus
* Cooperation and team spirit as we thrive on collective thought and cooperation
|Posted on:||24 Nov 2021|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Banking / Finance|