Discovery Interns are explorers, they dive headfirst into the world in front of them. They aren't afraid to be uncomfortable and boldly embrace any obstacle or challenge as an opportunity to excel. They walk confidently into the uncharted territory and make the most of their experiences. They ask the questions that go beyond the surface. Seek adventure, find your passion and forge your path with an Internship at Discovery.
Through Discovery's Internship Program, you'll have the unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the entertainment and media industry and learn from the leader in global entertainment.
Here's what we offer…
Working in the Network Origination department, you will be heavily involved in the day-to-day operations of an international multi-channel, state-of-the-art broadcasting facility. Key work areas will be Live Programming, Scheduling, Materials Handling, Media Management, Previewing and Compliance Editing. The role will include dedicated placements within each department team, with steep learning curves and great potential for professional development.
Liaising with stakeholders both in our London playout centre and our local offices in the Scandinavian territories, you will assist our departments as we transform our operations through various technology transformation projects, as well as prepare for the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Scheduling and Live Operations
* Learn the end-to-end live broadcasting workflow, from the planning stage up to transmission.
* Daily/weekly planning and optimising of On-Air playlists in accordance with channel and slot branding.
* On-Air scheduling, liaising with territory and UK departments to ensure a fully optimised and compliant playlist generation, including contingency playlists.
* Liaise with Ingest Operators, Live Technical Operators, and Engineering, as well as Production during a live broadcast
Programming, Content and Editing
* Learn the end-to-end material handling workflow, from programme planning through to material and subtitle ordering and delivery, ingesting, media management, scheduling and transmission.
* Produce highlight packages of various sport recordings for our Eurosport channels, often with quick turnarounds.
* Review programme material to ensure suitable parental ratings for applicable regulators. Complete compliance edits in Adobe Premiere Pro where needed and provide clear and accurate edit notes for audit purposes and/or to facilitate subtitle re-cuts.
* Lots of motivation to develop your career within the broadcasting industry.
* Excellent communication skills
* Great attention to detail
* Able to work well under pressure
* Knowledge of and a personal interest in sports production would be an additional bonus.
What you need to know:
* This is a paid 12 month internship and starts in July 2019
* The application deadline is 8thAfter this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
* If your application is successful after initial screening, the first stage of the process will require you to send us video clips of yourself answering a few questions that we will provide for you. More information will be sent to those who are invited to this stage.
* Following this, those who are selected to move to the final stage of the hiring process will be contacted within 2 weeks of submitting video applications to take part in a final interview, held either in our London offices, or via Zoom or Skype.
Interviewing will take place from March to April. A Discovery talent team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates