This internship is located in the regional section of the Western Africa Division (WAD) in the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations (DPPA-DPO) at (COMPANY NAME) Headquarters in New York.
The Division, which covers Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Côte d'Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo, is tasked with monitoring and reporting on major developments in the countries under its purview, and recommending actions for addressing the related challenges, risks and threats. The Division also monitors and analysis trends in the Sahel region, in particular on the implementation of the (COMPANY NAME) Integrated Strategy for the Sahel (UNISS). The Intern reports to a Senior Political Affairs Officer.
This internship is for an initial period of two months and may be extended up to six months depending on the needs of the Division.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Within the delegated authority, the Intern will perform the following duties:
* Monitor and analyze key political and security developments in West Africa and the Sahel;
* Based on situation reports, press clippings, and media reports, provide a daily news feed on West Africa and the Sahel for the regional section;
* Monitor general issues and summarize key public and academic articles, correspondences relating to West Africa and the Sahel, with special focus on climate security and related work by ECOWAS;
* Prepare weekly reports for the Security Council on developments in the areas under the purview of the Special Political Missions covered by WAD;
* Track progress in the implementation of the UNISS, particularly by UNOWAS and establish a repository of information and a database on the Sahel;
* Assist in the preparation of briefing materials for senior UN officials;
* Participate in meetings and draft minutes/meeting summaries;
* Carry out individual research assignments;
* Perform any other duties as requested.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants at the time of application must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
(b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent)
2. The field of study must be closely related to the type of internship you are applying for.
3. Proficient in standard word processing and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint or similar; Be proficient in standard office automation equipment, scanner, printer, etc.).
4. Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the (COMPANY NAME) Charter.
5. Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English and French are required for the internship.
Knowledge of an additional UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates may be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
We recruit interns throughout the year for assignments of at least 2 months. In your cover note, please indicate when you would like to start your internship. Please note that start and end dates are flexible.
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must also include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
* Graduation Date (When will you be/are graduating/have graduated from the programme?)
* List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
* List your top three areas of interest and please explain how your interests, skills and knowledge match either the strategic support or the analytics track.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship * Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, (COMPANY NAME) staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the (COMPANY NAME) in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Posted on:||27 Sep 2020|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Languages:||English, French, Arabic|