The Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) remote internship is for a period of three months with the opportunity to extend up to six months, depending on the needs and requirements of the Department. The two positions will be located in the Policy and Mediation Division of the DPPA.
The Division intends to recruit two interns. One intern to support the Gender, Peace and Security and the Mediation Support Units; and one intern to support the Innovation Cell. The remote internships do not carry any payment or retribution expectation. Interns work remotely five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the office to which the intern is assigned to; the nature of specific projects, and the internship duration. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
* Assistance in drafting and preparing official documents
* Attending and summarizing conference and meetings
* Assistance and logistics during conferences and meetings
* Assistance with inter-active presentations
* Conduct research in areas of interest to the Division, such as mediation, climate and security, women's political participation, and innovation
* Assistance in the evaluation of projects
* Preparation of briefing materials and talking points for managers and senior officials
* Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
* Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
* Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
* Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
* Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
* Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
* Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
* Places team agenda before personal agenda
* Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
* Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Planning & Organizing:
* Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
* Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
* Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
* Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
* Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
* Uses time efficiently
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants at the time of application must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or,
(b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent)
2.The field of study must be closely related to the type of internship you are applying for.
3. Proficient in standard word processing and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint or similar; Be proficient in standard office automation equipment, scanner, printer, etc.).
4.Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the (COMPANY NAME) Charter.
5.Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the Internship Programme.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat).
Potential candidates will be contacted by Hiring Manager directly for further consideration.
"In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship."
The Cover Note must include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing
* Expected graduation date
* List of ICT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
* List of top two areas/offices of interest within the Department of Political Affairs and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA)
* Explain why you are the best candidate
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, ICT skills and include three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, (COMPANY NAME) staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the (COMPANY NAME) in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Posted on:||05 Jan 2021|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Languages:||English, French, Arabic|