This internship position is located in the Inspection and Evaluation Division (IED), Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), under the supervision of a Chief of Section. OIOS-IED conducts independent inspections and evaluations on behalf of the Secretary-General and Member States. OIOS-IED's objective is "To strengthen accountability, learning, efficiency, effectiveness and impact in the implementation of programmes and the relevance of administrative procedures and to assess whether the activities correspond to the mandates." More information on OIOS and IED is available at: https://oxxx.xx.xxx/.
OIOS-IED is seeking graduate students who wish to gain professional experience in an international organization to supplement their studies. The internship provides practical educational experience working in a multicultural and intergovernmental organization. Under the supervision of managers of OIOS-IED, the intern is assigned projects and tasks that are relevant to their educational background and interests and provide them with the opportunity to apply and further develop their theoretical knowledge.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the full-time internship will take place remotely from the intern's home/school location (instead of in-person at the UN Headquarters). However, the intern will be expected to be available during the NY office hours. The internship will commence in February 2022 for a minimum duration of 3 months, with the possibility of extension up to 6 months, depending on performance and need.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Chief of Section, the intern provides support to the team leader of the thematic evaluation of Secretariat entities' contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals, in data collection, analysis, and other assigned tasks. The intern will have the opportunity to gain exposure to the UN Secretariat's work in realizing the decade of action and delivery for sustainable development. Depending on the competencies and interests of the intern, the assignments will include:
1. Researching, compiling and summarizing, as necessary, global, regional, and country trends on sustainable development, as well as global estimates and national statistics disaggregated by income-level, age, sex, ethnicity, migratory status, disability and geographical location where available.
2. Assist in collecting, organizing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data from the evaluation case study countries. This includes:
* Taking notes of stakeholder interviews and minutes of meetings with the clients.
* Obtaining and filing documents and internal data from UN Secretariat entities in different formats (i.e., Excel,
PowerBI, Management Information Systems, Microsoft Word, PDF).
* Conducting qualitative, statistical and quantitative analyses of the data collected.
* Developing and testing a database and dashboards including data cleaning, coding and recoding.
* Visualizing the data using MS Excel and Power BI.
3. Assist in other ad-hoc activities including reviews and edits of the various evaluation products, as instructed.
If accepted, interns will be expected to embody the following competencies:
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve Organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; shows willingness to learn new technology.
To qualify for an internship through the (COMPANY NAME) New York Headquarters Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications, preferably including Microsoft Excel;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of its Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Successful candidates should be registered for or have completed studies in political science, economics, international affairs, public administration, gender studies, statistics, data science or related fields. Skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis using large unstructured volumes of data are desired.
- Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the full-time internship will take place remotely from the intern's home/ school location (instead of in-person at the UN Headquarters). However, the intern will be expected to be available during the NY office hours. The internship will commence in February 2022 for a minimum duration of 3 months, with the possibility of extension up to 6 months, depending on performance and need.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME). For this internship, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is desired.
Potential candidates will be contacted by the Hiring Manager directly for further consideration.
The internship is for beginning/Spring 2022, with a minimum duration of 3 months and can be extended up to 6 months.
The internship is unpaid and based in New York City. Interns are expected to work on a full- time basis. Any flexible working arrangements have to be explicitly agreed upon, and interns will be expected to work the equivalent of a minimum of at least three months.
A completed online application (cover note and personal history profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover note must include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
* Graduation date (when will you be graduating/have graduated from the programme?).
* Period of availability (start and end dates).
* Skills and experience in research, evaluation and qualitative and/or quantitative data collection and/or analysis.
* IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Children and siblings of UN staff members are not eligible for participation in the UN internship programme.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, (COMPANY NAME) staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the (COMPANY NAME) in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Posted on:||14 Jan 2022|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Job duration:||3 months|
|Languages:||English, French, Spanish|