The mission of the (COMPANY NAME) Department of Operational Support (DOS) is to help Secretariat entities, including peace operations, departments and offices, succeed by providing rapid, effective, efficient and responsible support services. Its core services include supply chain management, operational human resources management, health-care management, support for uniformed capabilities, support to entities in special situations, information and communications technology (ICT) support, and UNHQ facility management.
The Office of the Under-Secretary-General of Operational Support provides direct executive and management support to DOS leadership. Our work covers DOS strategy, performance, and analytics; as well as communication, coordination, and external relations.
The internship is unpaid and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours), with supervision and support of a staff member. Except for the summer periods, we also consider part-time internships.
Our interns work as full members of our team, pursue projects that are designed to make a significant difference in DOS, and have opportunities to learn about the (COMPANY NAME) overall. This internship focuses on Communications and Design:
* Design core identity products that illustrate corporate vision, mission and values
* Design and prepare content/copy for corporate briefings, presentations, fact sheets, snapshots, articles and other internal and external communications materials
* Support the development of web sites, including layout, content, look and feel
* Provide design support across a range of print and online products
* Support the development and implementation of larger communication strategies and efforts
Looking for applicants with some experience with graphic design, working with the Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. InDesign, Illustrator) and/or experience in building websites
* Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
* Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
* Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
* Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
* Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Planning and Organizing
* Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
* Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
* Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
* Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
* Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
* Uses time efficiently
* Keeps abreast of available technology
* Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office
* Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
* Shows willingness to learn new technology
We seek candidates with relevant coursework in Design, Web Development, Strategic Design and Management, Marketing, Information Design, Public Relations, Media Studies, Journalism or Data Visualization
Please note that to qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
(b) be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent)
Applicants must also:
-Be computer literate in standard software applications
-Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter
-Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants to the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, a field of study that is closely related to the type of internship that you are applying for is required.
Applicants must be a student in a Bachelor's (final year), Master's or Ph.D. Programme or equivalent, or have completed a Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D. Programme. Do you meet any of the above criteria? If yes, please indicate which one and attach a current official proof from the educational institution to this effect to your application.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the internship advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
We recruit interns throughout the year for assignments of at least 3 months. In your cover note, please indicate when you would like to start your internship. Please note that start and end dates are flexible:
* Fall (September to December)
* Winter/Spring (January to April)
* Summer (May to August)
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Degree Programme (What are you currently studying)
* Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme)
* List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
* List your top three areas of interest.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Other Skills and Requirements
Candidates for our internship positions are not required to have professional experience, though it can be an advantage if you have interests, skills and knowledge in the areas below:
* Keen interest in communications, design and change management
* Understanding of user-experience design, information hierarchy, design principles and typography
* Knowledge of industry standard software (Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
* Knowledge of key online platforms and technology (e.g. Microsoft SharePoint, Drupal, HTML, CSS)
* Please submit a portfolio or a link to a portfolio along with your cover letter and CV
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS