This Internship is located in the Umoja Communications Team in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance, (COMPANY NAME), in New York.
Umoja aims to transform the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat by enabling high-quality, cost-effective service delivery to support the execution of evolving mandates everywhere the Organization operates. Umoja transcends organizational, geographical and functional barriers, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, empowerment, sharing and unity across the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
The internship is for a period of two months to six months, depending on the needs of the office. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work up to five days per week (remotely) under the supervision of a staff member within the department or office to which they are assigned.
Under the supervision of the Communications Officer:
- Develop and create visual design deliverables leveraging the Umoja brand identity;
- Design dynamic and engaging visuals for websites, social media platforms, publications, events material and signage, infographics, data visualizations, icons, newsletters, brochures, flyers, report covers and layout, dashboards;
- Assist in posting visual designs and other information to Intranet pages and the Umoja public website
Required: Knowledge of visual communication, brand identity design, website and graphic design, and ability to develop creative solutions and produce high quality graphic material; Knowledge of industry standards in design, production, printing and multimedia processes and procedures as well as typography, layout, photography and color theory; knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat; Experience in conceptualizing digital products such as data visualizations, animations and interactive content is highly desirable. Familiarity with the work of the UN or similar international organization is desirable. Familiarity with social media approaches is desirable; experience in web development (Drupal or similar CMS platforms), animation and video editing is desirable; experience working with multilingual products is desirable.
* Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
* Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
* Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
* Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
* Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
* Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
* Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
* Places team agenda before personal agenda
* Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
* Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
* Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view
* Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
* Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
* Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
* Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
* Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in the areas of ;
(b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
Applicants should preferably be enrolled in a programme (see point a and b) or have graduated (see point c) in the area of graphic design, visual art, instructional design, contents design, communication design or technical writing.
* Be computer literate in standard software applications and be knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite products (InDesign, Illustrator, Animation and Photoshop), experience with Adobe Captivate is desirable.
* Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for this internship.
Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Preferred duty station(s) for the internship.
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
* Graduation Date (When will you be graduating/ have graduated from the programme?).
* IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
* Top three areas of interest.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Interns working on Graphic Design and Web Design must provide their own laptop for this position.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, (COMPANY NAME) staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the (COMPANY NAME) in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS