2023 Summer Intern - Human Genetics
The Human Genetics Department at Genentech invites applications for an in-person summer internship at our research campus. The successful applicant will work closely with their mentor in a collaborative, nurturing, and resource-rich environment to investigate the genetic basis of autoimmune diseases.
This internship position is located in South San Francisco, CA (On site).
* Review the scientific literature to gain familiarity with cutting-edge statistical genetic approaches for resolving genome-wide association study (GWAS) signals.
* Discover quantitative trait loci (QTLs) by integrating genetic variants with molecular traits (e.g. microbe abundances, gene expression).
* Leverage causal inference approaches (e.g. colocalization, Mendelian randomization) to nominate molecular traits that may underlie the genetic basis of disease.
* Visualize and interpret results in the context of relevant pathophysiology
* Present to the team at the end of the internship.
* Intensive 12-weeks, full time (40 hours per week) paid internship.
* Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
* Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
* Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
* Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
* Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
* Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
* Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
Who You Are
* PhD Students (pursuing PhD, not completed) who are available to work full time for the duration of the internship.
Preferred majors: Statistical genetics, Genetic Epidemiology, Human Genetics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, or related fields.
* Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
* Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
* Strong analytical ability, adaptability, and self-motivation.
* Fluency in R or Python, Unix command line interfaces, Git, and high-performance computing are required.
* Relevant research experience, coursework, and publication record.
Along with the submission of your CV, a cover letter is optional.
Relocation benefits are not available for this job posting.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location for this position of California is $21.00 - $50.00 per hour. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. This position also qualifies for paid holiday time off benefits.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation
|Posted on:||25 Jan 2023|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Job duration:||3 months|