This internship is located in the Programme Planning and Budget Division of the Office of Programme, Planning, Finance and Budget (OPPFB) in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC) and is for three months with an opportunity for extension, pending on the needs of the department and performance of the intern.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals who wish to gain professional experience in financial management, financial procedures and practices, and analysis of budgeting, accounting and financial requirements within an international organization in order to supplement their studies.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
1) Support in gathering, organizing and presenting information to support the deliberations of the General Assembly
2)Assistance in costing recommendations of the General Assembly with financial implications.
3)Extraction and monitoring of expenditure, alerting for material variances vis-à-vis approved budgets.
4) Audit and careful review of information in the information systems, to contribute to accuracy of information and non-existence of errors that may affect budgetary deliberations.
5)Support providing information to oversight bodies such as the Board of Auditors.
6) Compilation of historic information relating to the programme budget to support decision making and policy formulation.
7) Support programme budget officers of the Unit in a wide range of administrative tasks.
8) Support in the issuance and monitoring of allotments and redeployments
9) Performing other related duties as required: In addition to the frequent interaction within PCU and with the Director of the Programme Planning and Budget Division, the work also implies frequent interaction with Budget Officers and assistants in PPBD, as well as with external colleagues from the budget and finance network of the various entities benefitting from resources from the regular budget. Additionally, exposure to auditors and members of the CPC and ACABQ is expected.
10)Maintain and improve a filing system that enables easy and prompt access to budgetary information.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or, (b) Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
2. Be computer literate in standard word processing and software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel or similar; Be proficient in standard office automation equipment scanner, printer, etc..
3. Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the (COMPANY NAME) Charter.
4. Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
No working experience is required to apply for the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the (COMPANY NAME) during your internship.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official (COMPANY NAME) language is an advantage.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Interns are not financially remunerated by the (COMPANY NAME). Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of interns or their sponsoring institutions. For internships in the United States of America, interns who are not United States citizens, permanent residents or not currently in the United States on a non-immigrant visa status will be required to obtain a G-4 visa. If already in the United States of America on another non-immigrant visa status other than G-4, interns will be responsible for ensuring that they have a valid visa, and if required, employment authorization, allowing them to undertake the internship.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
- Graduation Date (When will you be graduating/have graduated from the programme?).
- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, (COMPANY NAME) staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the (COMPANY NAME) in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS
|Posted on:||25 Nov 2021|
|Type of job:||Internship|
|Industry:||Government / Non Profit|
|Job duration:||one month|