The (COMPANY NAME) shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the (COMPANY NAME) - Chapter 3, article 8). The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment Org. Setting and Reporting
The Office of Programme, Planning, Budget and Accounts, Department of Management is recruiting interns for the Peacekeeping Finance Division in New York. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who wish to gain professional experience in financial management, financial procedures and practices, and analysis of budgeting, accounting and financial requirements within an international organization in order to supplement their studies.
- The duration of the internship is between 2 months to a maximum of 6 months depending on particular needs of the project.
- Internships are unpaid. Travel costs, travel arrangements (including visas), and living accommodations are the responsibility of the intern.
- Internship positions are fulltime and interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a relevant staff member, based upon their assignments Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the internship positions range widely, encompassing many aspects of the section's work. These responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Support their respective teams by analyzing data and creating strategic communication products, such as presentations, webpages and other materials relating to finance; analysing data extracted from the UN ERP and/or other systems.
- Perform analysis and identify solutions to issues requiring attention.
- Communicate and follow up with relevant stakeholders/parties to ensure such issues are resolved.
- Assist with the preparation of management reports.
- Performs other duties as may be required Competencies
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client Education
Applicants must meet one of the requirements below:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications, i.e., MS words, Excel, Power Point, etc.;
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME); and
- Have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views. Work Experience
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the project. However, applicants are encouraged to list all relevant work experiences in their personal history profile. Languages
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage. Assessment
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration