2021 Summer Internship
Are you driven by the idea that data has the power to transform people's lives for the better? And are you excited about the idea of unleashing your passion for data to design cutting-edge technology to help us get there? If so, then read on!
The research division within (COMPANY NAME) Health is responsible for designing first-of-a-kind technology to help people get a better night's sleep, as well as to help people hear and focus better in noisy environments. We are an eclectic mix of scientists and engineers with backgrounds in areas such as engineering, computer science, mathematics, music, neuroscience, and philosophy. In the (COMPANY NAME) tradition, we focus not only on developing cutting-edge technical solutions but, also, on developing products that deliver unparalleled end-to-end user experiences. For the summer of 2021, we are looking for an aspiring data scientist or machine learning engineer with a strong background in signal processing to help us prototype and implement new algorithms for our next generation of products. Examples of specific projects you could work on include:
* Designing new signal processing algorithms to estimate biometric information from sensor data.
* Developing classifiers to determine when a person is using a wearable device.
* Determining feature sets that can be used to predict if and when a component may enter a failure mode.
* Developing algorithms to tailor streaming music to an inferred set of user preferences.
Health is an exciting venture for (COMPANY NAME) that is still relatively new to the organization, and the sky is the limit in terms of your ability to make lasting contributions to (COMPANY NAME)'s product line in this space.
The primary responsibilities for this position include:
* Prototyping and implementing new signal processing and machine learning algorithms.
* Performing analyses of algorithms on large datasets, developing visualizations, and presenting your results.
* Integrating solutions into existing software architectures when appropriate.
In addition to the above, your role may involve some of the following:
* Collecting sensor data to create datasets of new biometric data.
* Helping to run studies in conjunction with user researchers to obtain data from human participants.
* Participating in code reviews.
* Performing literature reviews on various research topics and presenting your findings to our team.
* Pursuing or just completed a degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field.
* Strong background in signal processing concepts: time and frequency analysis, sampling of continuous signals, linear filter design, etc.
* Demonstrated exposure to machine learning techniques.
* Experience working with data from physical sensors (e.g. IMU, GPS, microphone, EEG, etc.)
* Familiarity with material covered in introductory linear algebra and probability and statistics courses.
* Ability to write Python code and to use standard computational packages (e.g. numpy, pandas, scipy, scikit-learn, etc.)
* Solid presentation and communication skills.
* Familiarity with standard software development practices (version control, virtual environments, etc.)
* Experience using Jupyter notebooks.
* Familiarity with some of the following: AWS, Git, Pycharm or similar IDE, LaTex.
* Experience collecting sensor data from human subjects a plus.
* Exposure to concepts from feedback control is a plus.
(COMPANY NAME) is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. For additional information, please review: (1) the EEO is the Law Poster (http://wxx.xxx.xxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx/xxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxf); and (2) its Supplements (http://wxx.xxx.xxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx.xxm). Please note, the company's pay transparency is available at http://wxx.xxx.xxx/xxxxx/xxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx. (COMPANY NAME) is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please send an e-mail to Wxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxm and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information