Want to find out what it's like to work in-house at a fast-growing fintech company? Join our Legal and Compliance team at (COMPANY NAME)!
We are looking for law school interns who are energetic, detail-oriented, and efficient multitaskers, who would enjoy working collaboratively in an in-house legal environment. Here are some of the traits we want to see: You shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done. You're the type of person who will leave no stone unturned when conducting legal research. You take the initiative to independently tackle complex and novel tasks. When you say "I'll take care of it," we know it'll be done well. You will develop skills in critical thinking, legal research & writing, including translating legalese for non-legal audiences, contract drafting, legal operations and policy development.
**Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample (legal memo) in your submission. We may ask you to provide grades when they become available. You can include your writing sample in the cover letter attachment section.
About (COMPANY NAME)
(COMPANY NAME) is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, (COMPANY NAME) offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, (COMPANY NAME) offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Here's what you'll do day-to-day:
* Help the Legal team be more productive, effective and organized.
* Conduct legal research and work with business, product, marketing, and engineering teams on topics such as privacy (e.g., HIPAA, CCPA, CPRA, GDPR), advertising (e.g., UDAAP & CAN-SPAM), intellectual property (e.g., trademarks, patents, opensource), employment (e.g., wage & hour & ERISA), international law, public policy, corporate governance, and fintech (e.g., lending, banking, money transmission, and other fintech matters).
* Negotiate and revise vendor and partnership agreements.
* Create legal wikis and "how-to" presentations.
Here's what we're looking for:
* Rising 2Ls from a top-40 law school.
* Available full-time for at least 10 weeks during the summer (40 hours a week).
* Able to think critically and come up with creative solutions.
* Extremely organized and attentive to detail.
* Thrives working on cross-functional teams.
* Experience in researching and synthesizing regulations or complex topics.
* Strong legal writing and analysis, and ability to communicate to non-legal audiences.
* Enthusiastic about learning new disciplines.
* Past experience working at a start-up or tech company.
* Demonstrated interest in fintech, privacy, employment, or benefits industries.
* Completed contract drafting, business associations and/or entrepreneurship classes.
* Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample (legal memo) in your submission. We may ask you to provide grades when they become available.
* The internship is paid.
* The internship is not eligible for school credit.
* The internship is preferably located in either our San Francisco or New York offices. However, remote is permitted due to COVID-19.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at (COMPANY NAME).
(COMPANY NAME) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. (COMPANY NAME) considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. (COMPANY NAME) is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org