The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to the operating entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices-away-from-headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions.
The Capacity Development Operational Training Service (CDOTS) provides operational training, including training on enterprise resource management system and leads as the main facilitator of business process management activities in the UN Secretariat.
These internship positions will be located in the Office of the Chief, CDOTS, and will be supporting an online leadership development initiative that will be running for 12-18 months, supporting managers of the client entity in developing individual and team coaching skills for the sake of improving overall performance and staff engagement. The interns will report to the Project Lead. This internship is a unique opportunity for those with backgrounds and interests in coaching, organizational development, and/or leadership development to be part of a dynamic project team responsible for designing and delivering a customized learning experience based on the (COMPANY NAME) Leadership Framework (CEB/2017/1).
The internship is ideally for a period of six months, with a minimum commitment of four months. Due to COVID-19 crisis, the internship is currently remote only. The situation will be assessed at the end of the end of the year to determine whether the internship can resume in person. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours).
Under the supervision of the project lead, the interns will perform the following functions:
- Technical host functions for online learning programmes (e.g. managing Zoom; setting up breakout rooms; polling participants; taking attendance, monitoring the chat, recording sessions, etc.)
- Logistical support for leadership development programme, such as scheduling, enrollment, fielding and/or responding to participant queries, etc.
- Back-of-the-room leader for online learning programmes, which includes creating a safe and supportive learning environment, listening for what is needed by participants, sharing observations and feedback with course leaders;
- Designing and deploying surveys and/or learning needs assessments to track participants progress and experience; analyzing data, distilling into summary reports;
- Actively engage with course materials and project team to deepen own learning in the field of leadership development and coaching competencies;
- Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and good analytical and organizational skills. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. The following knowledge, skills and/or abilities are sought specific to:
- training in coaching, leadership development, and/or organizational development/psychology;
- familiarity with 360 feedback tools, such as the Leadership Circle Profile;
- understanding of general systems theory as it applies to human development in an organizational setting;
- ability to develop and manage online learning platforms and/or communities of practice;
- ability to create an exceptional learning experience for learning programme participants;
- ability to create and run survey initiatives; analyse data and distill into summary reports in connection with key project objectives;
- knowledge of instructional design, strategic communication, and/or supply chain management.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements (A or B):
(a) be enrolled in, or have completed a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) be enrolled in, or have completed the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
- Be proficient in standard office automation equipment (e.g. computer, scanner, printer, etc.) and software systems (e.g. Microsoft Windows 10 or similar; Microsoft Office or similar, etc.).
- Be familiar with cutting-edge technology and tools and/or have experience with social networking and collaboration platforms.
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Preference will be given to applicants with an educational background in Coaching, Leadership/Organizational Development, Organizational Psychology, Information and Communications Technology, Information Management, Project Management, Business Management, Marketing, Communications and/or Library Science.
Applicants to the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, a field of study that is closely related to the type of internship that you are applying for is required.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates will be contacted directly by the hiring manager for further consideration.
The internship will be remotely. The intern must have relevant equipment to access all UN tools and software remotely. Access and a UN email address will be provided.
TO APPLY: Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Title of degree you are currently pursuing or have received;
* Graduation Date (When will you be graduating/ have graduated from the programme?).
* IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
* Top three areas of interest.
* Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
* Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences (if applicable), IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS