About this role
The Agency is looking to recruit computer scientists to create, design and implement software and hardware systems for the advancement of scientific research and regulatory decision making.
This is an exciting opportunity for a computer scientist, with excellent math, computer and technology knowledge and skills, to join EMA’s dynamic team in its public health mission. We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to:
Identify and solve complex scientific and regulatory problems by applying state-of-the art technology and computing solutions
Develop business applications using advanced development platforms
Research existing and new technologies
As a computer scientist, you will:
• Contribute to the application of sound software design, development, testing, integration, maintenance and data analysis in support of scientific and regulatory informatics needs;
• Identify and solve complex technology problems relevant to the activities of the Agency;
• Research existing and new technologies (e.g. artificial intelligence, robotics, virtual reality, and hardware-architectures) used in medicine and scientific research and perform experiments and modelling;
• Apply and adapt theoretical principles to develop new computer software and / or hardware solutions;
• Improve the performance of existing computer systems and software;
• Work in a multifunctional team of scientists, medical professionals, application developers and software engineers to solve problems and create new products;
• Document complex technical and programmatic issues and prepare technical reports;
• Utilise abstract concepts of computer science for the development of modular and reusable functions;
• Apply computer science-related math skills, e.g., linear algebra, calculus, statistics and discrete mathematics;
• Collaborate closely with industry experts, such as computer scientists and software engineers, and scientific staff of the Agency to solve complex computing problems and to determine the best way to customise a new software or hardware programme for the convenience and advancement of the Agency, European medicines regulatory network or the pharmaceutical industry;
• Consult with end-users, managers and vendors to determine computing goals and system requirements.
To be eligible for consideration for this position, you are required to:
1. Enjoy full rights as a citizen of a European Union Member State or Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway;
2. Possess a university degree in minimum of three years in computer science, computer engineering, applied informatics or related field, that must have been obtained by the closing date of this vacancy notice;
3. A thorough knowledge of English (at least level C1) and a satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the European Union (at least level B2);
4. have fulfilled any obligations imposed by applicable laws concerning military service.
For criteria 1, 2, you will be required to provide proof in the application form and at the interview stage.
Failing to present these documents may result in the disqualification from the selection procedure.
Excellent computer and technology knowledge and skills, in one or more of the following areas: software development and programming, computer hardware engineering, data analysis, information systems management, technical training, technical writing;
Innovative thinking and creativity;
Strong collaboration and communication skills;
Attention to detail and deep analytical skills.
Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or relevant field. Postgraduate study to PhD level highly desirable;
Experience in one or more of the following areas: software development and programming, computer hardware engineering, data analysis, information systems management, technical training, technical writing, and advanced mathematics – particularly linear algebra, statistics, calculus and discrete mathematics;
Fluency in one or more programming languages, such as Java, C++ and Python.
Technical competencies 
Application design – Level 1 - Contributes to the design and general functional specification and interfaces.
Technology trend monitoring - Level 4 - Exploits wide-ranging specialist knowledge of new and emerging technologies coupled with a deep understanding of the business to envision and articulate solutions for the future. Provides expert guidance and advice to the leadership team to support strategic decision making.
Innovating - Level 4 - Applies independent thinking and technology awareness to lead the integration of disparate concepts for the provision of unique solutions.
Component integration - Level 3 - Accounts for own and others’ actions in the integration process. Complies with relevant standards and change control procedures to maintain integrity of the overall functionality and reliability of the system.
Documentation production - Level 2 - Determines documentation requirements considering the purpose and environment to which they apply.
Problem management - Level 3 - Provides leadership and is accountable for the entire problem management process. Schedules and ensures well-trained human resources, tools, and diagnostic equipment are available to meet emergency incidents. Has depth of expertise to anticipate critical component failure and make provisions for recovery with minimum downtime. Constructs escalation processes to ensure that appropriate resources can be applied to each incident.
Needs identification - Level 4 - Exploits wide-ranging specialist knowledge of the customers’ business to offer possible solutions to business needs. Provides expert guidance to the customer by proposing solutions and supplier.
European e-Competence Framework 3.0
Analysing and Problem Solving - Able to tackle difficult problems/tasks. Evidence-based approach gathers information from a wide range of sources and viewpoints, analyses and evaluates it and reaches sound conclusions. Proposes constructive solutions;
Communicating - Presents a professional image of self, team and Agency. Conveys information clearly and concisely, adjusting style according to purpose and audience. Able to persuade and challenge diplomatically;
Delivering Quality and Results- Manages own time effectively, responding flexibly, meeting objectives and quality standards. Demonstrates the financial and resource management expertise necessary to achieve results. Professional, focused on delivering quickly and effectively. Takes well- judged risks within own delegated authority;
Prioritising and Organising - Organises own work effectively to meet demanding objectives. Uses basic project management techniques to monitor delivery. Aware of resource implications and need to keep internal / external customers and stakeholders and of the wider Agency informed. Strong focus on developing and maintaining efficiency in own and team’s working practices;
Resilience - As effective in times of normal business as in times of great pressure. Recognises some organisational frustrations are a feature of working life, but remains upbeat and persists, to deliver despite them. Supports organisational resilience by offering own or team’s support where there is pressure elsewhere. Tackles organisational frustrations within own area of control and is able to mitigate impact of difficulties or frustration originating elsewhere. At this level, demonstrates use of basic change management approaches to introduce change in own area, and has a strong focus on identifying changes which offer improvements in own area;
Learning and Development - Open and curious approach to new ideas, drawing on them and on experience to improve performance. Enthusiastic about personal development. Contributes to and supports corporate policies.
|Posted on:||27 May 2020|
|Job starts on:||As soon as possible|
|Study areas:||Actuarial Science, Artificial Intelligence, Communication and Information Sciences, Computer Science / IT, Documentation / Archiving, Informatics, Journalism, Library Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Museum Studies / Conservation, Public Relations / Publicity / Advertising, Radio / TV Broadcasting, Statistics, Writing|