Bxxxxxx.xxm, the world's #1 accommodation site and the 3rd largest global e-commerce player, is looking for a Payments Counsel to act as a critical partner to our Payment teams, helping develop, launch, and enable our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
At Bxxxxxx.xxm, we connect travellers with the world's largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Bxxxxxx.xxm website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer 2x,xxx,xx0 total reported listings, and cover 153,978 destinations in 228 countries and territories worldwide.
Bxxxxxx.xxm's growing Legal team is looking for capable Payments Counsel with lots of potential who will work directly with and alongside business clients to provide on-the-ground support and identify potential legal issues.
The role demands a product-savvy, technically competent Payments Lawyer, potentially with deep experience in specific relevant areas of financial regulation, who is capable of acting as principal point of contact for the payments product and banking/treasury financial specialist areas of Bxxxxxx.xxm.
This opportunity represents an exceptional chance to embed yourself with one of the world's most exciting organisations, and help define the future for accessing travel experiences across the world.
* As Payments Counsel you will report to the Legal Director for Product and Payments, and be responsible for all legal matters related to the Payments at Bxxxxxx.xxm - you will, as required, work directly with Senior Management, as well as day to day Product Managers and Finance teams and key stakeholders across the business.
* Strong knowledge of the laws and regulations that regulate payments and other types of financial transactions.
* Understanding of legal principles applicable to payments and risk, including the payments ecosystem (e.g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, risk vendors, etc.), regulatory implications (e.g., stored value, money transmission and other payments, cross-border and international regulatory issues) and consumer protection laws.
* Knowledge of major payment network rules and processes and experience dealing with major payment networks.
* Experience advising regulated payment entities and supporting payments compliance programs.
* Strong legal regulatory background, and experience dealing with government agencies and regulators.
* Possess excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills.
* You collaborate with the Public Affairs team on regulatory matters that could impact payments.
* You analyse services, policies and initiatives to provide practical and actionable legal advice, including legal assessments of risk across multiple jurisdictions.
* You provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with key partners and the commercial aspects of our payments operation.
* You will be a team-player, interested in building out a state-of-the-art legal function to support the expanding needs of a growing, international business.
* 8+ years practicing law, with a mix of in-house and big firm experience preferred
* Law degree from a top law school and excellent academic credentials
* Experience with and passion for Payments Law, data privacy, security, consumer protection issues in the digital environment, platform liability, marketing and advertising law, and information policy
* Experience counselling product development and working closely with designers, engineers, and product management
* Ability to provide legal and regulatory guidance on the design and modification of payment and financial services products
* Ability to proactively identify associated risks and recommend mitigation strategies
* Ability to review user experiences to ensure legal compliance and proper disclosures, document guidance for consumption by attorneys and non-attorneys, and help improve processes for review
* Demonstrated experience negotiating and structuring international commercial transactions with a wide range of counter-parties, cultures and working styles
* Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively manage conflicting priorities
* Excellent writing, communication, verbal and written, and organisational skills
* Eagerness to learn new technologies and ideas. Comfortable navigating complicated and nuanced issues
* Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well in fast paced team environment