Do you want to work on the frontier of Renewable Energy Research & Development? Do you want a career with a global leader in Wind Energy? Do you want to work in a company where you have the opportunities to learn, evolve, develop yourself and be part of something big? Then you may be the candidate that we are looking for in Loads & Control Technologies team at Vestas Design Centre in Porto.
Control Engineer, LaC Technologies (Assistant Lead Professional)
Vestas Power Solutions is the cornerstone of Vestas. Through innovation, development and continuous product improvement we develop the products and technologies that reduce the cost of energy and bring the highest possible value to our customers and to Vestas. To put it short: Vestas Power Solutions develops the wind power systems of the future.
As a part of Vestas Power Solutions, the Control Engineering department is responsible for developing future wind turbine controller software and hardware but also deliver loads and control solutions ensuring optimal performance of our products under all conditions. The responsibility spans from strategic development of new turbine technologies to delivering product level feasibility studies ensuring an optimal cost of energy.
Inside Loads & Control we have a team that is dedicated specifically to technology development for our next generation of turbines. We have multiple ongoing R&D projects directly aimed at bringing down the cost of energy of wind power. The projects you work on deliver directly into the mark upgrades of Vestas' core products, you can often see a technology become reality in less than 2 years' time. In this team, we need a new team-member who focuses on looking ahead, innovation and efficient project execution
You will drive innovation from a very conceptual level to full scale demonstrator stage. You will have the opportunity to turn new ideas into concepts and contribute to the state of the art in wind turbine design. The variables we work with are the loads, controller behavior, dynamics, noise footprint, stability and performance of new conceptual systems. The main objective is to drive down the cost of energy of wind power. You will contribute to the technology roadmap for new projects. You will be immediately involved in one of our flagship technology projects, or if you have the right level of experience and mindset, you will lead your own.
- MSc or PhD within Control Engineering or similar.
- Min. 2 years of experience in control of wind turbines or another relevant industry
- Proven experience with MATLAB/Simulink and with wind turbine aero-elastic tools (e.g. Flex5, Bladed, HAWC2, FAST)
- Good programming skills with emphasis on quality, readability and maintainability
- Proven experience with technology development and innovation
- Solid language skills in English
The following skills are an additional benefit:
- Good knowledge of aerodynamics and aero-elasticity
- Experience within industrial application of model predictive control, system identification and/or machine learning
- Experience with MATLAB embedded code
- Experience with software development using ANSYS SCADE suite
- Experience in leading technology projects
The ideal candidate has the motivation, capacity and understanding to grasp how control and structural dynamics of the turbine interact, to dive into the underlying physics, and has the creativity to come up with new and innovative solutions to the challenges we face. To be successful in the position we expect:
- you are committed to improve the Wind Energy state-of-the art technology
- you have an international and multicultural mindset
- you are self-motivated with a strong drive for innovation
- you are a good team-player with open attitude and good communication skills
- You are pro-active, result oriented and have a strong sense of responsibility
- You are able to meet your deadlines with the right quality
Vestas is a multicultural and global company and international applicants are very welcome
What we offer
We offer the ability to learn and implement groundbreaking new solutions in a fast-paced and blooming wind turbine industry. The right candidate will have the opportunity to greatly impact Vestas' current and future product range. You will be part of diverse team that challenges the status quo and works with the turbine on holistic level. Additionally, you will be part of an international organization with opportunities to grow and develop in the job - both professionally and personally.
Work location will be at the Vestas Power Solutions newly established hub in Porto, Portugal.
About 30 days of travel per year must be expected and probably more during the first year