Group: Technology | Function: Research
We are looking for machine learning and computer vision experts to help us shape and develop our ID verification solution. We apply cutting-edge ML techniques in our core product to classify documents, identify physical forgeries, extract data, verify user liveness, and match facial biometrics to securely verify the user's identity. As part of the research team you will primarily help contribute to the general technical direction working with our product and engineering teams to develop new features that make use of either computer vision or machine learning models.
What problems will you be solving?
Our engineering teams work on several interesting challenges: detecting physical and digital forgeries, extracting textual and visual data from identity documents, evaluating photo content and quality, detect user impersonation attempts, verifying legitimate users through facial recognition, and making complex verification data easy for our customers to use and understand
As a Research Engineer (Machine Learning) you will:
* Build and deploy solutions to interesting computer vision or machine learning problems including document data extraction, fraud detection or biometric verification challenges.
* Support and guide other engineers in learning about, applying and delivering product features driven by machine learning techniques.
* Work alongside Research Scientists in order to deliver on both short term objectives and long term goals.
* Participate in weekly paper reading groups.
* Help develop robust model training and data infrastructure to support continual optimisation of ML-driven approaches.
* Assist in steering the ML-led development across the tech team.
We're building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally-without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that's becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user's government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online-without compromising on user privacy.
That's how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we're just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our (COMPANY NAME) blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
* Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
* React and Redux for frontend work
* Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
* Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
* AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
We're committed to making (COMPANY NAME) a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You'll receive:
* A meaningful equity allocation
* 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
* Pension with The People's Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary)
* Personalised Financial Advice with St. James' Place Wealth Management
* Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
* Sanctus mental health coaching
* Flexible working
* Payroll Giving
* Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
* Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to £50 per month)
* Onsite massages
* Free yoga classes, 5-a-side football bookings
* An unlimited budget for any software or books you need
* Free languages classes (currently Spanish, French and English)
* A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
* Clubs: Coding, Running, Theatre, Games, Poker, Movies and many more!
* Open and transparent culture-we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live Date: 14 August 2019
Close Date: 13 September 2019
Salary: Highly competitive
The interview process will involve:
* Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
* A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
* Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
* On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining (COMPANY NAME). We consider this necessary in order to protect (COMPANY NAME), our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at (COMPANY NAME). We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
* PhD degree in Computer Science (or related quantitative field) or MS degree in Computer Science with related experience.
* Hands on experience working on computer vision and machine learning projects e.g. face verification, voice verification or deep learning.
* Excellent coding skills (Python and C++ are considered a plus).
* Hands on experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: Tensorflow, PyTorch, Theano or similar.
* Solid understanding of statistics, probability, linear algebra & calculus.
* Communication is important so we expect you to be able to translate complex ideas into understandable content.
* Successfully delivered ML-driven products to market
* Ability to design large-scale systems
* Experience working as a software engineer or equivalent
* Experience with Git, writing shell scripts and working in a Unix environment
* Good working knowledge of the tools in our dev stack, including Linux, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Redis, Jenkins and Git.
* Strong academic and publication record
To be a great fit at (COMPANY NAME), we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at (COMPANY NAME)