System Safety Engineer
Company:BDUKL - United Kingdom
Location:GBR - Bristol, UK
Job Description Summary:Applies an interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to plan, design, develop and verify a lifecycle balanced system of systems and system solutions. Evaluates customer and /operational needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and program interfaces. Performs various analyses to optimize total system of systems and/or system architecture. Performs analyses for affordability, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability, human systems integration, survivability, vulnerability, susceptibility, system security, regulatory, certification, product assurance and other specialties quality factors into a preferred configuration to ensure mission success. Develops the planning, organization, implementation and monitoring of requirements management processes, tools, risk, issues, opportunity management and technology readiness assessment processes. Resolves cross-functional technical issues.
(COMPANY NAME) is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation:No relocation available
Export Control Requirement:Not an export control position
Safety Sensitive:This is not a safety sensitive position
Contingent Upon Award ProgramThis position is not contingent upon program award
Job Description Qualifications:
(COMPANY NAME) Defence UK is looking for a System Safety Engineer based in Bristol, United Kingdom.
Reporting to the BDUK System Safety Manager, and the SCIS Programme Manager, the successful candidate will work alongside the BDUK Environmental Safety Lead and be responsible for the overall Safety and Environmental Management activities supporting the Support Chain Information Service (SCIS) Programme. Undertake development and in-service System Safety activities in support of the UK MoD customer Safety Related Information Systems and Service Safety cases.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
* Assist the programme planning and support for the following safety activities: Safety Programme scoping and planning, Resource Workload Planning, Support to Bids and Proposals, Identify, monitor and execute risks, issues and opportunities and support the development of mitigation plans.
* Undertake the development of SCIS Programme System Safety artefacts and associated documentation in accordance with MoD Safety Policy, Defence Standard 00-056 and associated international standards including the development, maintenance and update of:
* Safety Management Plans,
* Safety Assessments for Safety Related data and Information Systems and the selection and application of appropriate Software Safety techniques.
* Hazard Identification and Analysis techniques including but not limited to: Functional Failure Analysis, Structured What If Technique (SWIFT).
* Hazard Logs using the CASSANDRA or other Hazard Log tools.
* Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports for Products and Services,
* Safety Arguments using Claims, Argument Evidence and Goal Structuring Notation using the Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment (ASCE) software.
* Ensure close liaison, through proactive collaborative behavior, with other (COMPANY NAME), Customer and Supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Safety Cases.
* Proactively support Customer and Supplier Safety Meetings and chair internal and customer-facing System Safety Working Groups.
* Some UK travel is expected.
Employer will not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE.
Preferred Qualifications (Experience/Education/Skills):
* Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
* Formal System Safety training.
* Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for MoD ground based systems, Information Systems and data.
* Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of MoD Safety Policy and Def Stan 00-056.
* Understand and have experience of applying Safety Techniques to Safety Related Data and Information Systems.
* Experience developing Safety Cases for information systems and Safety Cases for Services.
* Experience with the use of common safety tools, specifically CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment.
* Demonstrate the ability to plan of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility.
* Able to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans.
* Experience of developing resource workload plans and schedules.
* Experience of providing safety support into bids and proposals.
* The candidate should possess strong communication skills, technical competency, and skills with project management concepts/tools.
* Completed or working towards a post graduate qualification in System Safety Engineering is highly desirable.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. (COMPANY NAME) WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOUR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of (COMPANY NAME) U.S. based payroll.
This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Experience Level:Individual Contributor - 3
Job Code:6K8CI3 (6AL)