Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our vision of creating the destination for making life a little more thoughtful and beautiful, we do things differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we've seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe's leading online flower company, and the UK's fastest growing ecommerce company according to the Financial Times, growing at +100%.
In January 2021 we announced our £75 million Series D funding round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), alongside other top tier investors including Index Ventures (investors in Wise and Glossier). We are home to a family of 3 strong brands, Bloom & Wild, boomon and Bergamotte, having acquired bloomon in April 2021 and Bergamotte in July 2021. Together, we are active in 8 countries.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team and we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Ecommerce Team at Bloom & Wild
The Ecommerce team makes up a large proportion of the nearly 100 strong Technology team, which in itself forms a large part of the overall Bloom & Wild team of over 400 people. Alongside the OpsTech, Platform and Architecture teams, the Ecommerce team focuses on delivering the best experience to our customers before, during and after their purchase.
Our teams consist of cross-functional squads, responsible for a business and architectural domain - you'll join our Checkout & Payments squad which is a close-knit team of developers and testers, supported by our design team. The squad strives to enable customers to effortlessly purchase the products that they love, using their preferred payment method. Experience and performance are a key focus, driven by continual refinement through experimentation (utilising a/b testing), measurement (performance tracking for example) and enabling the business to understand and respond to the needs and wants of our customers and the requirements of key stakeholders such as the finance team. The squad allows our customers to effortlessly customise, curate and confidently purchase thoughtful gifts, whilst ensuring a low abandonment rate, they also own internal and external customer touch points including such things as financial reporting and discounting.
There are many exciting challenges ahead as we evolve and adapt to the increasingly varied needs of our rapidly growing business and customer base, in addition to continuing with our broader strategy to continually improve our frontend technology and break up our platform into a set of smaller services and consolidate onto a single microservices platform.
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
The role and ways of working:
* You will lead our Checkout & Payments squad, reporting to the Director of Engineering (Ecommerce).
* You will lead a squad with hybrid and remote squad members based in the UK, The Netherlands and elsewhere.
* You will be responsible for all associated hiring and people management.
* You'll own delivery in your squad, working closely with the Product Manager to ensure that work is effectively planned, estimated and delivered
* In addition you'll work closely with other Engineering Managers, Director of Engineering, Senior Technology leadership and community of practice leads to shape the technology roadmap and strategy going forwards, ensuring that we are improving the whole team and optimising the approach for more than just your squad
* We work with some great technology; our stack consists of iOS and Android apps, an Angular website and a backend platform with apps in Ruby on Rails and Python. You'll play a key part, together with Tech Leads and our Architecture team in ensuring that the squad is picking the right technologies.
* You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; Leading Change for Good, Care Wildly, Think Deeply Act Swiftly and Stay Open Be Curious.
* You are technical enough to offer specific guidance to engineers and set technical direction, unblock and move engineering decisions forward when engineers can't agree.
* You are able to be hands-on when required.
* A background in backend development, Ruby on Rails or Python would be perfect
* You'll be able to demonstrate how you've taken responsibility for performance management, career progression and pastoral care.
* You've created environments that promote both autonomy and accountability.
* Our Engineering Managers are accountable for both delivery and people management within their squad so you'll need to have previous experience of scrum mastering/ project delivery.
* You'll take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and have the ability to foster this mindset in your teams.
* You'll be a great coach and servant leader, able to motivate and guide the squad through the good times and the bad, learning and improving as you go.
It would be nice if you also have...
* Experience working on payment systems, such as Stripe / Braintree.
* Experience with Angular 7+ & Typescript.
* Experience working in e-commerce
The Technology team currently consists of 28% fully remote engineers and 75% working in a hybrid model, coming to our office hubs in both London and Amsterdam as much or as little as they like.
We work hard to create a working culture of inclusion for our team working from office and home locations so whether you need to be at home for school pickups or want to spend time together with your co-workers we'll do our best to make your experience a good one!
We're proud to hold an A-rated sponsor license, so we can assign certificates of sponsorship. This means we can support applications from anywhere as long as the job is deemed suitable under the points based system.
Our perks and benefits:
* 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
* Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-4pm)
* We offer flexible bank holidays so at any time you can trade a bank holiday day off and in its place take off another day that fits better with your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
* Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
* Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
* Personal Development Budget
* Enhanced Family Friendly Policy
* Workplace nursery - a salary sacrifice based childcare scheme
* Cycle to work scheme
* Pension Contribution
* Discounts on our blooms!
* Lunch & Learns
* Bloom & Go Wild trips
When we're in the office:
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, inclusive and scale-up culture and those who choose to come into the office, also benefit from:
* Free snacks.
* Early finishes on Thursdays & Fridays to spend more time with each other.
* Beer, wine and soft drinks fridge.
* We're a social bunch and love to get together to celebrate! Events include Summer & Christmas parties, post peak celebrations and team lunches.
In addition to our normal perks and benefits we're supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
* Weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content.
* Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions are celebrated.
* Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations.
* Wellbeing support through our online platform, Spill, which offers online therapy sessions.
*New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely.
* Peak Treats to support our team during our busiest times!
Our Recruitment Process
We are continuing to conduct the majority of our interview processes remotely via video. We'll get to know each other better through a series of remote interviews with various members of the Technology and Product teams. During this time you'd get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with both our VP and Director of Engineering plus one of our Product Managers, and find out what it's like to work for the largest online flower and gifting company in Europe!
Your application experience is important to us and we're keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know
|Posted on:||23 Sep 2022|