We are looking for a Paralegal with a data protection specialism to join our Risk & Compliance team at Baker & McKenzie LLP.
It is essential that the successful applicant has gained commercial paralegal experience from a professional services environment, ideally within a law firm. We are looking for someone to join the team who has a very strong work ethic and a genuine interest in compliance.
Please note that this role is a Paralegal position and is not an entry route to complete a training contract or professional qualification with (COMPANY NAME). The two recruitment processes are completely separate.
The London Risk & Compliance team has a wide remit, including fulfilling the following functions:
* Firm risk management
* Legal, regulatory and policy compliance
* General Counsel and advisory
* Partnership Secretariat
* Business Protection
The Risk & Compliance team works closely with the Managing Partner of the London office, the firm's MLRO and the Directors of the Firm's business service teams. The team is led by the General Counsel/Head of Risk and currently comprises a Senior Associate, Two Associates, an AML Compliance Manager, a paralegal and one PA.
Key Skills and Experience Required
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* R&C Team Support: supporting the Associates in the Risk & Compliance team with their day to day roles, including managing the team inbox and responding to ad-hoc enquiries (with support as required).
* Data Protection: maintaining data protection policies, supporting with data breaches, handling data subject access requests, completing privacy impact assessments, dealing with queries from the Firm and clients regarding data protection issues with a focus on inclusion & diversity projects/client requests, co-ordinating the internal DP working group meetings and implementing recommendations of the same.
* Project Support: providing support for ad-hoc and ongoing projects e.g. AML, e-learning, file reviews, Risk & Compliance intranet and bulletin. Support to include:
* updating and circulating project documentation
* documenting actions and following up with relevant team members
* drafting communications to departments/teams
* Fee earner Support: supporting our lawyers to respond to questionnaire/audit requests from clients regarding our policies, systems, lawyers etc.
* Assist with other ad-hoc duties as and when required
Degree qualification or equivalent
Prior experience as a commercial paralegal working in professional services, ideally legal. Previous data protection and/or compliance experience is not essential but would be highly regarded
* High work standards
* Excellent communications kills, verbal and written
* Strong attention to detail
* Excellent organisational and problem solving skills
* Ability to confidently deal with demanding situations, people and requirements
* Strong document management skills
* Strong client service orientation
* Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and online research tools
* Flexible and efficient work practices and ability to adapt style as required
* Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines and manage own workload
* Good communication skills, including the ability to liaise with people across the business who are located in multiple countries
* Ability to work well in both a team and individually
* Keen to develop and use initiative
Diversity & Inclusion
Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Why Join Us?
(COMPANY NAME) is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world's most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of a 950 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, (COMPANY NAME) London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
* Acritas' Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2xxx- xxx0 - ranked 1st
* The Sunday Times' Best Companies to Work For 2xxx, xx, xx, xx, xx, x7: currently ranked 66th
* The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2018: currently ranked 65th
* Thomson Reuters ranked the Firm No. 1 for cross-border deals for the last 12 years. More than 70% of our deals are cross-border.
* For the 14th consecutive year, the Firm was ranked first for deals with emerging market involvement, by both number of announced and completed deals.
* Law360 ranked the Firm as the leading global law firm in its annual survey.
* Identified as one of the best law firms for women by Working Mother magazine, Law360 and Euromoney.
* Named one of Stonewall's Top Global Employers for the fourth consecutive year in 2019.
* Recognised in 2019 as a top 10 employer in the UK for LGBT+ equality, and named as one of 10 Top Trans Employers, in Stonewall's Top 100 Best Employers listing.
* Featuring in Business in the Community's Top 100 Employers for Race listing.
* Ranking 5th in the 2019 Social Mobility Employer Index.
* Winning the Best International Firm (UK), Best International Firm for Minority Women Lawyers, and Best International Firm for Women in Business Law at the European Women in Business Law Awards 2019.
Have a look at our YouTube channel to find out more about us!
At (COMPANY NAME) we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Recruitment Manager on +9xxxxxxxxx0.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Recruitment Manager, on +9xxxxxxxxx0
Please review our Applicant Privacy Notice here
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note (COMPANY NAME) does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
As the first truly global law firm, diversity and inclusion are foundational to our culture and strategic vision. We are a Firm of individuals from across the globe with different backgrounds, ideas, and points of view who collegially work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources, including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.
Our global strategy is focused on our people, our culture, our clients and the communities where we operate. In 2019 we enacted ambitious new targets related to gender, racial and ethnic diversity at the Firm. These targets are viewed as a floor, not a ceiling, to advancing underrepresented groups, and they are backed by a variety of strategic initiatives aimed at achieving our goals. Our strategic vision is supported in London by six active employee led networks which champion diversity, lead on a number of internal campaigns and deliver a range of activity to celebrate differences in identity, inclusion, and key dates throughout the year including: LGBT+ History Month, International Women's Day, International Trans Day of Visibility, Mental Health Awareness Week, Pride, Black History Month, Social Mobility Week, International Day of Disabled Persons and many more!
(COMPANY NAME) London has been accredited by Disability Confident, joining over 18,000 organisations that have signed up to help change behaviours and cultures in businesses, networks and communities and reap the benefits of inclusive recruitment practices
|Posted on:||22 Oct 2021|