Paralegal / Junior Lawyer, Marketing
About the role
This position reports to the General Counsel Marketing & IP. You will be a member of the Marketing & IP team as well as the Bacardi Legal Function and will provide assistance on matters relating to Marketing, Intellectual Property, contracts and regulatory requirements in the food and beverage sector, to support business value growth and other operating objectives, whilst avoiding or minimising legal exposure.
You will assist and support the General Counsel Marketing & IP and will provide expert advice to the Global Marketing teams, and ensure that the company complies with marketing laws, regulations and best practices. You will be a broad thinking, business-savvy, flexible, and pragmatic legal advisor and will ensure that the projects to which you contribute are compliant, by providing specific advice and general training. You will also contribute to the coordination of work by the legal Marketing & IP team and within the broader Legal matrix organization.
You will provide quality legal advice to the internal clients, supporting Marketing staff and their projects and transactions, in line with their short and long-term business objectives. Also, as member of the global Legal function, you will participate in global projects or cross border activities and may interact with global corporate functions if needed, particularly on technical regulatory matters on innovation products.
This role is based in the London Office and requires regular interaction with the IP lawyers in Geneva.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
* Be an active member of the Marketing & IP team by providing support to in-house lawyers and legal recommendations on business and compliance matters.
* Identify IP and legal risks and provide pragmatic, and business-focused legal support on marketing, promotional and innovation projects, ensuring compliance with IP rights and with applicable laws and regulations, including by interacting with the global trademark agents and with external legal resources.
* Assist in the drafting and negotiation of contracts, using available templates and standards, and interacting with in-house and external lawyers, with the goal of ensuring the right balance of commercial benefit and risk management.
* Promote compliance with the Bacardi Responsible Marketing Principles.
* Actively correspond with external lawyers and trademark agents and interact with other members of the global legal function in a matrix organisation.
* Assist in the management of IP and marketing-related disputes, including litigation and pre-litigation claims, negotiations, arbitration, mediation and other forms of dispute resolution.
* Monitor developments in IP and marketing laws, and legal trends in the marketing field, especially in respect of alcoholic beverages, along with substantive changes, and alert the Legal team to ensure that these changes are adequately considered.
* Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders.
Measures of success
* Effective management and leadership of projects and activities
* Work effectively with the Global Marketing teams
* Integration with the Marketing & IP teal and with the rest of the Legal Function, in order to provide business-savvy legal advice.
* Effective and timely provision of advice and contract drafts, allowing business opportunities.
* Enable the creative and execution of global and local campaigns, activations, and projects.
* Actively contribute to global projects of Legal and corporate functions, as directed.
* Achieve reasonable compliance with the Bacardi Responsible Marketing Principles and with third-party IP rights
Critical experiences for success
To be successful in this role you will have/be:
* Proven experience in legal aspects of marketing and in IP matters, in an international company,
* Pragmatic business judgment and risk assessment skills and ability to effectively balance business objectives and legal requirements, to enable the business to achieve its objectives in compliance with applicable rules and with the company's values.
* Ability to work in a fast-moving matrix and cross-functional environment with different stakeholders, both internally and externally. Organizational intelligence and cross-cultural agility. Great team player within the Marketing & IP team and with the global function.
* Communication/Listening skills: Superior abilities to communicate orally and in writing, to clearly and concisely convey information and to listen to others.
* Proactive business partner and trusted advisor with strong influencing skills. Accessible and responsive to Marketing staff and to other members of the Legal function.
* Excellent critical thinking, analytical, negotiation and drafting skills.
* Uncompromising integrity and values, and ability to uphold and advance the same and across the organisation.
* Experiences in the beverages industry and language skills are an advantage
* Sr. Paralegal: Law Degree and substantial experience in a comparable role.
* Junior Lawyer: Law Degree from a top tier law school and significant experience in a comparable role. LEADERSHIP EXCELLENCE
Living our Values and demonstrating high Learning Agility will be fundamental for success in this role. We have a clearly defined Leadership Excellence framework, and you will be expected to be a leadership role model in the following competencies: Focus Externally to Win / Drive Execution & Results / Lead Strategically & Know your Business / Make the Matrix Work / Lead by Example / Develop and Inspire Talent
Our ways of working
Our family legacy has positively influenced our ways of working and has shaped the values to which our employees aspire. We're caring, like a family, and not only internally, but also in the wider communities in which we operate. This is demonstrated by our commitment to both act responsibly and promote the choice to drink responsibly. We trust one another, and through that trust are able to forge strong teams and networks that empower our matrix organization structure. We're passionate, reflecting our Latin heritage, and this means that we commit more than just time to our work: we commit energy, heart and soul. We are dedicated to being a role model in our industry, and we approach everything we do with Integrity First. Together, our values help us create what we're most proud of: our True Heart and Winning Spirit - both in our home markets and across the world