Job Title: Gardener
Reports to: Head Gardener
Purpose of role: To maintain the 190 acre gardens and grounds at Ashridge House to the highest of standards.
Duties: Undertake a range of horticultural operations to maintain, restore and enhance the gardens and grounds of Ashridge House.
* To work as part of the team using correct horticultural and H&S practises to achieve high standards.
* Participating in a rota system for on call duties for road clearance (inc. emergency tree work gritting, snow ploughing), in the winter and watering in the summer
* Lawn maintenance
* cutting grass areas of fine and rough texture with pedestrian mowers and strimmers
* cutting grass with ride on machines
* turfing and re-seeding grass areas, lawn repairs, scarifying.
* Shrub, rose and flower beds, borders and hedges
* hoeing, hand weeding, mulching, edging of beds, dead-heading plants,
* assisting in planting trees, shrubs, roses and bedding plants.
* assist with the pruning of shrubs and roses, and limited pruning of ornamental trees.
* assist with hedge cutting with powered and manual tools
* Hand Tools, Machine use and maintenance
* correct use and maintenance of hand tools
* pre-use checks, operating and basic maintenance of the machines, power tools and equipment
* driving tractors, and attachments including trailers, gritter and snow plough
* operate and maintain chainsaws once licenced
* Sports pitches
* Assist with the marking and re-marking of the sports pitches
* Help erect and dismantle sports equipment.
* assisting the Deputy Head Gardener with sowing, pricking out, potting on and watering
* General duties
* paths and terraces - removal of debris, sweeping/blowing, clearing leaves and litter
* winter duties gritting and removal of ice and snow
* undertaking labouring duties in connection with site preparation and construction
* clearing leaves, litter etc.
* pressure washing
* carrying out any other duties as directed by the senior gardeners.
Person Specification - Gardener
NVQ Level 2 or equivalent in amenity horticulture or relevant experience
* Basic knowledge of plants
* Basic of horticultural techniques
* Chainsaw CS30/31 licence
* Good communication skills (verbal and written)
* Computer literate - MS Office.
* Full driving licence
* An interest in garden history
* Basic knowledge of plant diseases and pests
* Knowledge of Risk Assessments, H&S and COSHH legislation
* Tractor Licence
* An interest in biodiversity and sustainability
* An understanding of conservation and implications of working in an historic garden.
* Minimum of 1 year relevant gardening experience
* Experience of maintaining gardens to a high standard.
* Experience with the use of/basic maintenance of a wide range of modern garden machinery
* Experience of working in a team
* Experience of tractor driving.
* Experience of working in historic gardens open to the public
* Experience of working in a greenhouse.
* Experience of maintaining sports pitches
* Experience of tree work.
* Experience of machinery maintenance and servicing
* Self-motivated and organised.
* Ability to work as part of a team and alone.
* Client Focused
* Attention to detail
* A flexible approach and an openness to change
* Willingness to learn new skills and undertake further training.
* Cost conscious