Descripción del puesto:
The (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva (UNOG) serves as the representative office of the Secretary-General at Geneva. A focal point for multilateral diplomacy, UNOG is one of the biggest duty stations outside of (COMPANY NAME) headquarters in New York. The Office provides financial and administrative support services to more than 20 Geneva-based UN Secretariat organizations/departments. This position is located in UNOG Division of Administration, Financial Resources Management Service, Finance Section. The Section acts as a focal point for Internal Controls and Risk Management. The duration of the internship is for a minimum of three and a maximum of six months. The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (40 hours) under the direct supervision of the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Internal Control focal points and supports the planning, designing and implementation of the risk management and/or internal controls process for UNOG.
The position, which has clearly defined output requirements, includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Assist in updating a Risk Universe, Risk Dashboard, Residual Risk Heat Map, and other visualizations as necessary, following the UN Enterprise Risk Management Framework and Guide.
- Assist in reviewing and updating Risk Control Matrices and Flowcharts.
- Assist in monitoring of the implementation of Risk Treatment and Response plans defined for the top risks identified as priority.
- Provide support in designing and implementing qualitative and quantitative methodologies to assess and validate risks, including surveys, interviews, and workshops.
- Assist in organizing meetings and workshops with chiefs of organizational units within UNOG.
- Attend and summarize meeting notes.
- Draft written communications to disseminate information and/or request for comments and documentation to/from various stakeholders.
- Collect and compile risk and internal controls information for the Division using spreadsheets or other software applications as necessary.
- Provide support in accounting and financial reporting tasks.
- Providing administrative support on an as-needed basis.
Upon completion of the assignment the successful candidate will have gained:
- Knowledge of the application of risk assessment processes and implementation of statement of internal controls in an UN environment.
- Better appreciation of current and emerging risk management issues within the UN Secretariat.
- Improved analytical skills in the areas of risk assessment and management.
- Improved communication skills through interactions with UNOG staff and managers.
- A better understanding of the UNOG operations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
To qualify for an internship with the (COMPANY NAME), applicants must meet one of the following requirement:
a. Be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
b. Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent).
Interested candidates must be pursuing or pursued their degree in the fields such as: Finance, Accounting, Risk Management, Statistics, Business Administration, Data Science or related areas.
In addition, the applicants must:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications and have technological awareness.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Other Skills and Requirements
- Excellent writing skills, as well as strong analytical aptitude and communication skills
- Skilled in working with spreadsheets, data management, analysis and/or visualization tools.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Knowledge of information technology.
Applicants to the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme are not required to have professional work experience. However, the field of study should be closely related to the type of internship they are applying for.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience. However, they are encouraged to list all relevant work experience in their application, as well as interests, skills and knowledge in the areas indicated in the job opening.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Candidates will be assessed based on their Personal History Profile. Individual interviews may be conducted by the Hiring Manager directly for further consideration.
Completed online application (Cover Letter and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Letter must include:
- Title of the degree and field of study being pursued or obtained.
- IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- Date of availability.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship. Explain your experience in quantitative or qualitative analysis. Explain your interest in the (COMPANY NAME) Internship Programme.
- Ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include:
- Proof of enrolment from current University (if not graduated). Expected graduation date.
- A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
- A copy of any professional certifications received related to accounting, audit, internal controls, or risk management (if any).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises. Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship¿remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
Interns must keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and not publish any reports or papers based on such information except with the explicit written authorization. Interns are bound by the same duties and obligations as staff members, and the information to which an intern has access in the course of the internship must not be divulged to external parties.
Interns are responsible for all internship-related expenses that they incur. The (COMPANY NAME) accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, upon award of an internship, interns are responsible for securing adequate insurance coverage and are required to sign and return a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of these conditions of service.
A person who is the child or sibling of a staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at the (COMPANY NAME). An applicant who bears to a staff member any other family relationship may be engaged as an intern, provided that he or she shall not be assigned to the same work unit of the staff member nor placed under the direct or indirect supervision of the staff member. For purposes of this instruction, "child" means (i) the child of a staff member; (ii) the child of the spouse of a staff member (stepchild); and (iii) the spouse of a child of a staff member or a staff member's spouse (son- or daughter-in-law). "Sibling" includes the child of both or either parent of a staff member and the child of the spouse of a parent of a staff member (that is, also half- and step-sibling).
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS