Descripción del puesto:
The Macroeconomic Policy and Financing for Development Division (MPFD) Internship is for minimum of three months, with a possibility of extension up to six months, if required by the Division.
The internship is unpaid and full-time. Interns work five days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the Division or Section to which they are assigned.
MPFD provides a combination of normative-analytical and capacity-development activities to 53 member States and 9 associate members of ESCAP, taking into account the significant variation in their geographic, demographic, and socio-economic conditions. The Division undertakes analytical studies and policy-oriented research on medium- to long-term macroeconomic and development issues facing the region, including for the development needs of the region's least developed countries and other countries with special needs.
More details are available from wxx.xxxxxxx.xxx/xxx-xxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx.
Under the general guidance of the Section Chief and the direct supervision of a responsible officer, the intern will make a contribution to the research work of the Division. While responsibilities change according to the needs of the Division, typical tasks include the following:
* Undertake research and analysis in such areas as:
o Macroeconomic policy and analysis: monetary policy, fiscal policy, tax cooperation, public financing efficiency and governance, econometric analysis for policy evaluation
o Financing for development: domestic and external resource mobilization, capital market development, infrastructure financing, public-private partnerships, financial inclusion (e.g., small business' access to finance); foreign direct investment, official development assistance (ODA), remittance and climate finance.
o Special support to least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States: poverty reduction, LDC graduation, economic diversification, structural transformation, development cooperation
* Identify key short- to medium-term risks to sustainable development in the Asia-Pacific region;
* Prepare summary tables, graphs, and other inputs, as needed, for ESCAP publications such as the Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific, Asia-Pacific Countries with Special Needs Development Report, working papers and policy briefs; and
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
The (COMPANY NAME) Core Competencies include:
* Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills.
* Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
* Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be 'clients' and seeks to see things from clients' point of view.
To qualify for an internship with the ESCAP Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
* Meet one of the following requirements:
a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
* Have studied areas such as macroeconomics, finance, international economics, development, econometrics, applied statistics, business administration, engineering/physics/mathematics or related areas;
* Shall be computer literate in standard software applications and in statistical packages such as Stata, Eviews, SPSS and R;
* Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the (COMPANY NAME) and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
* Have demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the Internship Programme. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A complete online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
* Title of degree programme (What are you currently studying or what have you studied?);
* Graduation date (When will you be graduating or when did you graduate from the programme?);
* List of IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
* List of your top three areas of interest;
* Explanation about why you are the most suitable candidate for this specific internship;
* Explanation of your interest in the ESCAP Internship Programme, especially with MPFD; and
* Indication of your available period for internship, i.e. when and how long (note: the minimum duration of an internship is three months and can be up to six months).
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three names of references and contact information.
Please note that due to the large number of applications, divisions are not in a position to reply to each application and that only short-listed applicants will be contacted for further consideration.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS