Description du poste:
This position is located in the Data Development and Dissemination Section (DDDS), Research and Trend Analysis Branch (RAB), Division for Policy Analysis and Public Affairs (DPA), (COMPANY NAME) Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), in Vienna. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Drugs Monitoring Platform (DMP) Coordinator.
For more information on UNODC, please visit our website: wxx.xxxxx.xxx.
Within assigned authority, the Statistical Assistant will be responsible for the following specific duties:
· Standardize and validate data on Individual Drug Seizures to ensure consistency and comprehensiveness. Assist in maintaining UNODC's records on individual seizures and identifying gaps in reporting, accuracy, clarity and validity. Interpret and adjust anomalous data using standard statistical procedures and techniques. Under the guidance of the supervisors, implement guidelines on standard procedures to check the quality and consistency of the final datasets.
· Compile, process and harmonize data sets derived from Member States' reporting obligation on individual drug seizures (IDS) and other relevant data sources (including open sources) and ensure their incorporation into the DMP database; identify and establish best practices for data harmonization.
· Assist in the production and analysis of aggregated and harmonized statistics on drug seizures.
· Support the data management process; contribute to design and development of databases, including internal IT tools for the processing of data and for making data available to analysts within UNODC.
· Support the communication with national counterparts related to data collection processes and with UNODC counterparts, including Field Offices, pertaining to the mandated IDS data reporting channel. Assemble and examine original statistical material on drugs, to ensure comprehensive and up-to-date data sets; make appropriate adjustments and ensure the incorporation into the relevant UNODC database.
· Organize the data-entry of individual drug seizure and other drug-related data into the Drugs Monitoring Platform. Assist with identifying and soliciting further data sources for inclusion in the Platform. Collect and incorporate feedback on the database structure.
· Prepare data sets, graphs, maps, and other outputs for reporting, presentation of various data and to facilitate further review and analysis of data. Provide support in the preparation of presentations as required. Prepare draft technical documents for meetings and assist in developing relevant reports including on database trends. Assist in the production of fact sheets on drug data in coordination with relevant field offices.
· Assist in liaising with UNODC-wide staff to collect relevant and available statistics on individual drug seizures. Assist in identifying new data partnerships for the Drugs Monitoring Platform.
· Organize and participate in seminars, expert meeting and working groups and provide technical support.
· Assist with the development of standard operating procedures for the DMP particularly related to data sharing, partnerships and various features of the system.
· Assist in the design and roll-out of an advocacy campaign to support the DMP.
· Perform other work related duties as assigned.
· Professionalism: Has ability and knowledge to handle large data sets and to identify, extract, process, analyze and disseminate data, using statistical software; is able to design data collection and analysis procedures; is able to apply sound judgement in the context of assignments given; has some knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to drugs and crime related issues; has very good research and analytical skills; is able to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues; has knowledge of various research methodologies and sources; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
· Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of seven (7) years of work experience in statistics or related area is required.
Experience in the use of statistical software for data validation and processing, such as SPSS, R, Python or Stata, and management of large databases and multi-source datasets is required.
Proficient experience in Microsoft Excel is required.
Experience in information systems applications/programming (e.g. SQL, VBA, Java) is desirable.
Experience in mapping software, such as ArcGIS, is desirable.
Experience in analytical work, preferably drugs and crime related is desirable.
Experience in working with the (COMPANY NAME) system or similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official (COMPANY NAME) language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the (COMPANY NAME) Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. Non-local candidates will be considered only when no suitable candidate from the duty station is identified and will be subject to local recruitment. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Other Skills and Requirements
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
The GGST is a proctored entry-level examination at the duty station. Any travel expenses incurred in order to take the examination are the responsibility of the candidate and will not be reimbursed by the Organization.
Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test [in English] at the (COMPANY NAME) headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS